Cuba’s Telecommunications Company ETECSA announced on Thursday that the number of active cell phone lines has reached five million thus confirming the incrase of that service over the past few years.
According to statistics released by the company, some 43 thousand cell phone lines were active in December 2003, a figured that increased to 223 thousand by April 2008.
The numbers grew to reach one million lines in June 2010, two million in March 2014 and three million in April 2015, while in December 2016, the figured reached four million active lines.
The Telecom company has noticeably expanded its services including internet rooms and wifi hotspots throughout the island, as well as still limited home-based adsl connections.
Along with the state services, private workers have spread cell phone repair and sale businesses in many areas, what has helped Cubans enjoy the use of smart phones for their communication in different modalities.
- Cuban Players to attend Pan American Badminton Championships
- Council of Ministers of Cuba Discusses Economic and Social Issues
- Cuba to take best cyclists to Pan- American road championship
- North American Activist Calls for Ending Blockade Against Cuba
- Cuban Consulate in US Hosted Travel Agencies Executives