Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel is making his first trip to the town of Caimanera, the closest point in Cuba to the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay.
Díaz-Canel arrived in the town of about 10,000 people Thursday morning for a series of meetings with local officials.
He began with a visit to a newly renovated 3D movie hall.
Diaz-Canel assumed power in April 2018 and has made several dozen similar trips around Cuba to check on public services and infrastructure, accompanied by Cuba’s state-run media. Some international media were invited to cover the trip.
- Cuban Council of Minister vice president in Kenya for ACP Summit
- Collaborators in Venezuela reject campaigns against Cuba
- President Diaz-Canel in Argentina to attend inaugural ceremony of Alberto Fernandez
- Great expectation to meet the new manager of the Villa Clara Baseball Team
- Importance of social networks highlighted in Cuba