Famous Cuban Baillarina Marta García, 68, died today in a hospital from lung cancer, according to sources close to the artist.
García was born on Feb.7, 1949 in Guanabacoa, Havana and her long career made her one of the main pillars of the Ballet Nacional de Cuba (BNC) company.
With less than 5 years old the Best Artist Award given by a popular TV program at that time, when she sang, acted and danced.
In 1956 she starts in the Academia de Ballet Alicia Alonso located at then called Teatro Radiocentro (today renamed Yara).
Ten years later she perfoms her first presentation in Las Amigas de Gisselle;and Danza Española and Mazurca from the El lago de los cisnes.
With thel BNC she travels the world and performed all the main roles of the great classic ballet repertoire like La fille mar gardée, Giselle and El lago de los cisnes, Don Quijote y La bayadera.
Less than two years ago she published her memoirs in Spain.
- Cuban National Ballet is Back after Successful Performances in Spain
- Over a thousand evacuated as Spanish aquarium goes up in flames (PHOTOS, VIDEO)
- US Aggressions against Cuba Strengthen International Support
- Cuban Tourism Industry minister asks for more creativity to mitigate recent US measures
- Iberostar to Remain in Cuba