Gibara, Cuba, Jul 5 (Prensa Latina) Renowned Cuban actress Mirta Ibarra received the Lucia de Honor award, given by the management of the 14th Gibara International Film Festival that is taking place today in this northeastern city of Holguin province.
The distinction honors important creators of the cinema on the island and Ibarra is one of the emblematic Cuban faces since her participation in the films, 'Strawberry and Chocolate' and 'Adorable Lies,' just to mention some.
The 14th Gibara International Film Festival takes place from July 1 to July 7, over 700 kilometers from Havana.
'This is a very atypical, multifaceted festival, and I am very happy to see all the people of Gibara participate in a film festival,' Ibarra told Prensa Latina.
The actress, a graduate of Latin American Literature at the University of Havana, dedicated the new award to the filmmakers Humberto Solas and Tomas Gutierrez Alea (alias Titon), her deceased husband.
Among her current work projects are the establishment of the Tomas Gutierrez Alea Research and Promotion Center, in Havana.
She reported that she has already found the place; the roofs are currently being repaired to safely deposit in the building the entire Titon's library, his stationery and photos.
- Spain's PM Sanchez to visit Cuba
- Cuba ratifies its commitment to universal and free health before PAHO
- Unesco to Celebrate Day of Universal Access to Information
- U.S. Rep. Castor Meets with Cuban President, Stresses Importance of Continued Dialogue and Engagement
- Cuban President meets with representatives of the United States technological sector