Havana, Jul 7 (Prensa Latina) The diva of the Buena Vista Social Club, Omara Portuondo, will give a concert today on Salud Street to celebrate Havana's 500th anniversary.
The main course of the concert will be her new album 'Omara Siempre' (Omara Always), recorded by Cuba's EGREM company and released in May.
Portuondo, also known as the Bride of Feeling, will show her musical vitality, as even at the age of 87, she continues to sing great melodies and defend the roots of Cuban music.
The album contains 11 tracks by several Cuban and foreign composers, and compiles a well-known repertoire consisting of songs like 'Y Tal Vez' (Perhaps), by Juan Formell; 'Sabanas Blancas' (White Sheets), by Gerardo Alfonso; and 'Yo Vengo a Ofrecer Mi Corazon' (I Come to Offer my Heart), by the Argentinean musician Fito Paez.
Instrumentalists, soloists and well-known groups, such as the rumba band Osain del Monte, pianist Orlando Vistel, Argentinean musician Rodrigo Sosa and singer Beatriz Marquez, who accompanies her in one of the songs, will join Portuondo.
'Omara Siempre' was produced and arranged by Alain Perez, who was proud of collaborating with the artist and learning from her experience that always surprises for her versatility when singing different genres.
Winner of the National Music Award in 2006, Portuondo also won a Latin Grammy Award for Best Contemporary Tropical Album in 2009 for 'Gracias' (Thanks).
- The government takes a turn in its foreign policy in favor of dialogue with Venezuela and Cuba
- Cuban Foreign Minister Chairs Delegation to Nicaraguan National Event
- Miguel Diaz-Canel Reaffirms that Cuba will Not Shift towards Capitalism
- Cuba, ECLAC Discuss Preparations for Sustainable Development Forum
- Evo Morales Thanks Sao Paulo Forum for Support for 2019 Candidacy