Robert De Niro has reignited his feud with Donald Trump, labelling the US president a "nightmare".
The revered actor, 75, appeared on long-running US comedy show Saturday Night Live last week, playing special counsel Robert Mueller in a sketch alongside Alec Baldwin as Mr Trump.
Mr Mueller is in charge of the investigation into Russia's alleged interference in the 2016 presidential campaign. The president has dismissed the probe as a "witch hunt".
De Niro, star of films including The Godfather Part II, Goodfellas, Meet The Parents, and Casino, appeared on CNN on Monday to discuss his animosity towards the president.
"I never thought in my lifetime, and I have seen a lot in my lifetime, I never thought - I was working out with my trainer the other day, we have seen horrible things over the years, but this is one of the worst I have ever seen and ever thought I would see, but it's real," he said.
* 'Wake up punchy': Donald Trump describes Robert De Niro as 'a very low IQ individual'
* It's not the first time Robert De Niro has slammed Donald Trump
* Robert De Niro takes aim at US President Donald Trump's climate change policy
* Robert De Niro on Trump's America: A 'tragic dumb-ass comedy'
* Robert De Niro writes letter of support to Meryl Streep following Golden Globes speech
During the Tony Awards in June, De Niro took to the stage and said, "f... Trump". The president responded by saying the Raging Bull star was "punch drunk and "a very Low IQ individual".
On CNN on Monday, De Niro was asked why he was so vocal about the president.
He replied: "I know what kind of person this guy is, he is a New Yorker who I never would want to meet, and now he's president. And the reason I wouldn't want to meet him is because of the kind of person he is."
"As we all know now, there's nothing new. It's disgraceful but we'll get past it. It will be like a nightmare that you remember."
In October, De Niro was one of the high-profile opponents of the president who had suspicious packages addressed to them. Police were called to De Niro's Tribeca Productions in Manhattan.
The discovery came after a series of glass-filled pipe bombs targeting Hillary Clinton, former president Barack Obama, other prominent Democrats and CNN were thwarted without injury.
- ICYMI: Pulling troops out of Syria leads to geopolitical whack-a-mole for Trump (VIDEO)
- Trump support Brazil's Bolsonaro for OECD membership, but after Argentina's Macri
- White House Budget Office refuses to comply with subpoena for impeachment probe
- Trump says US not abandoning Kurds, again threatens ‘partner’ Turkey with economic devastation
- Trump condemned for denying visas to those lacking medical insurance