Bolivian Opposition Insists on Attacking Evo Morales

La Paz, May 27 (Prensa Latina) Bolivian opposition is insisting on its attack on the reelection of President Evo Morales in the general elections in October, although it has not presented a concrete government proposal to voters.

'A government plan cannot built in the time left (to present proposals), which is one and a half month, the government plan is deeper,' House of Senators Speaker Adriana Salvatierra said recently on the program Polemica, broadcast by Bolivia TV.

The lawmaker noted that the actions by opposition leaders and politicians seek international support, especially from the United States and neoliberal governments in the region, to prevent the candidacy of President Morales.

'They have made slogans and hatred a political stance,' said Salvatierra, who pointed out that so far, no one knows a single proposal from those opposition candidates to develop the country.

On the contrary, as denounced by the speaker of House of Deputies of Bolivia, Victor Borda, they repeatedly violate national dignity and sovereignty by resorting to international bodies and other States with the only interest of returning to power.

'That is to underestimate our capacity, our dignity as Bolivians,' Borda told reporters.

For his part, Presidency Minister Juan Ramon Quintana assured that the right wing comes from the 19th-century oligarchy, which mutated into the 20th century, an antinational oligarchy with a class expression that has historically looked down on the people of this South American nation. All 13 years of the Evo Morales Government constitute his biggest strength for the elections, because he shows achievements such as the improvement of the quality of life of Bolivians, the country's political and social stability, and economic accomplishments recognized by international agencies.

On October 20, people will decide on Bolivia's destiny in the polls. Bolivians, and only they, must bet on the continuity of the Democratic and Cultural Revolution headed by President Evo Morales, or on the return to a past of corruption and poverty.

  • Published in World

Largest Library in Bolivia with 62,000 Books

La Paz, Apr 11 (Prensa Latina) A total of 62,000 books on educational subjects and pedagogy were offered in a new library by the Ministry of Education of Bolivia, now considered the largest of its kind in the South American country.

Roberto Aguilar, Head of the Ministry of Education, reported that the population will have access to 1,490 publications of the Ministry in digital format, and 3,500 projects from private universities, during the opening of the library on Tuesday night.

Aguilar highlighted the availability of 23,517 systematizations and another 5,566 final works of the professional graduates of the Teacher Training Program, as well as 240 publications for the complementary preparation of this sector.

He pointed out that the library has books by national and international authors, educational statistics, and books on Alternative and Special Pedagogical Works, Collection of Literary Works, among other subjects.

It will also allow registered users to purchase books online, as well as review other content.

  • Published in Culture

More Than 19,000 Bolivians Received Medical Care at Health Fair

More than 19,000 Bolivians from Cochabamba (Tropic) have on Tuesday diagnosis, treatment and information about diseases they suffer, after receiving free medical care in different specialties during the 16th Comprehensive Health Fair.

This government initiative was carried out from March 22 to 24, at the headquarters of the Coordinator of the Six Federations of Cochabamba (Tropic), in the town of Lauca Ñ.

'We have held the health fair in Lauca Ñ on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and it has been very fruitful, during these three days, we have assisted about 19,456 patients including babies, children, adults and seniors,' Health Minister Gabriela Montaño stated.

The minister said that the largest number of consultations was in dentistry, with more than 5,000 patients, general medicine with 3,600 patients, ophthalmology with 1,800 and gynecology with more than 1,000 women.

The minister said that the largest number of consultations was in dentistry, with more than 5,000 patients, general medicine with 3,600 patients, ophthalmology with 1,800 and gynecology with more than 1,000 women.

The Ministry of Health and the Cuban Medical Brigade (BMC) in Bolivia deployed 54 specialists, 150 general practitioners, 20 community doctors from the Juana Azurduy Bond, 20 telehealth professionals, 31 nurses from the Japanese Technical School; as well as laboratory staff, pharmacists, dentists and technical support.

At first, the Integral General Practitioners, along with doctors from the Bolivian program Mi Salud (My Health), consulted each of the patients, completely free of charge, and referred them to the specialties, according to the pathology they presented.

Specialties such as dermatology, cardiology, pediatrics, internal medicine, gastroenterology, general medicine, allergology, neurology, otorhinolaryngology, ophthalmology, endocrinology, angiology, nephrology, orthopedics, physiatry, gynecology, surgery, psychiatry, dentistry , imaging and rheumatology, were included during this fair's edition.

  • Published in World

Bolivian Economic Growth in Region Highlighted

La Paz, Jan 1 (Prensa Latina) President Evo Morales on Tuesday highlighted Bolivia's achievements in 2018 in investments, employment, productive projects, among others, as a result of which the country has a leading place in economic growth in the region.

'We concluded last year with the satisfaction of having made great achievements for the benefit of our beloved #Bolivia. Again we are leaders in economic growth. We have exceeded investment goals, job creation, road construction and infrastructure,' Morales wrote on his Twitter account.

He said in another tweet that thanks to joint work and political and economic stability there will be better results in 2019, and urged to take care of the current achievements to consolidate as a worthy and admired country.

'We have achieved political and economic stability through the work by all Bolivians, thinking above all of the new generations. Therefore, social movements must take care of this heritage, which is economic growth, with new productive projects,' the Bolivian leader added.

  • Published in World

Bolivia to Receive Archaeological Pieces Belonging to It

La Paz, Dec 31 (Prensa Latina) Some 100 archaeological pieces are currently waiting in various countries to be returned to Bolivia during 2019, after several actions for the protection of heritage were undertaken by the Ministry of Cultures of this country.

Among the ancient relics are a keru or sacred vessel found in Argentina and another one in England, belonging to the Mollo culture - a pre-Inca people from 700 A.D. to 1400 A.D. - who inhabited the western part of the Royal mountain range, in the current La Paz department.

As part of the lot of objects to return to Bolivia is also a pot from the post-Tiwanaku era, culture developed in part of South America and after 1187 A.D.

The casserole is from the Netherlands, while another piece in the process of recovery from the United States is an eight-year-old mummy from the Inca culture.

Out of all these archaic components, 50 were recovered and 20 are expected to be in La Paz in January or February 2019, according to Laura Chambi, head of the International Relations Unit of Bolivia's Ministry of Culture.

Chambi explained the repatriation process is neither simple nor low-budget.

If there is willingness to return an asset, the process can take up to six months, she said.

The return has two stages, one, delivery to the diplomatic representation of the embassy or consulate, which delays the analysis of the piece, while the second phase includes the return process, with departure permit, diplomatic bag and piece insurance, she added. The Protection and Defense Committee for Bolivia's Cultural Heritage was reactivated this year, made up of several state agencies and security forces.

The Red List of Property Vulnerable to Illicit Trafficking, Theft and Disappearances of International Groups and Networks was created to prevent pieces trade, Chambi pointed out.

  • Published in Culture

Díaz-Canel: ALBA-TCP Summit in Havana ratifies Cuban

This Friday's celebration of the XVI ALBA-TCP Summit will be an opportunity to ratify Cuba's will to integrate Latin America in solidarity, said Miguel Díaz-Canel, President of the Councils of State and Ministers on Twitter.

The president said on the social network that Havana will dawn tomorrow hosting the XVI ALBA-TCP Summit on the 14th anniversary of its founding by Commanders Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez. We ratify our will to consolidate Latin American and Caribbean integration.

At the meeting, whose heads of delegations will begin to arrive tonight, high-level representatives of the 10 nations that make up this integration mechanism have announced their participation along with other invited countries and observers.

During the meeting, the member countries of the Alliance will discuss the commitment to Latin American and Caribbean unity and the need to strengthen unity in diversity.

The program released to the press indicates that it will also commemorate the 14th anniversary of the foundation of this platform that has promoted cooperation projects such as Miracle Mission, the Cultural Fund of Alba, the Latin American School of Medicine, the multinational Telesur and SUCRE, currency issued by the Bank of Alba in order to assess trade and financial exchanges between countries in the region.

  • Published in Cuba

Bolivian Opposition Protesters Set Electoral Court on Fire

Protesters reject President Evo Morales' candidacy in the 2019 elections.

Anti-government protesters set fire to Bolivia’s Electoral Court in the department of Santa Cruz Tuesday night. The three-story building was destroyed by the flames. Protesters also looted and destroyed a state tax office and telecommunications building. 

RELATED: Bolivia Closes 2018 Among The Highest Economic Growth Rates 

The arson took place after a march by students of the University Gabriel Rene Moreno, who reject the candidacy of President Evo Morales and Vice President Alvaro Garcia Linera, who are seeking a third term in the 2019 elections. Some refer to a possible 2020-2025 presidential term as Morales' fourth; they are including the three years of his first presidency, prior to the approval of a new constitution and the foundation of the Plurinational State of Bolivia.  

Via Twitter, President Morales condemned the “criminal acts of the right-wing who say they defend the rule of law but destroy state institutions. Yesterday, in the name of autonomy, they promoted racism and separatism. Today, in the name of democracy, they promote violence and vandalism.”

Opposition groups behind the protest denied their involvement in the arson attack and argued that their protests were infiltrated by thugs.

In the video you can hear a man celebrating the arson attack, saying "we built the homeland today." The video was shared from the Twitter account "Bolivia Said No." 

Earlier this month the electoral court ruled Morales was eligible to run for re-election. Opposition groups claim the 2016 referendum on term limits, in which a majority of Bolivians rejected a possible 2019 run for Morales, should have barred Morales from running.

ANALYSIS: Bolivia’s 2019 Elections Ahead of Primaries: Runners and Riders

However, Bolivia’s Constitutional Court later ruled that term limits were a violation of political rights.

Violence in Bolivia, in the context of upcoming national elections, claimed a person’s life last week. Opposition groups have vowed to continue protests unless Morales reverses his decision to run.  

According to local sources, twenty students were detained by the police, which dispersed protesters to make way for firefighters.

Jose Luis Quiroga, vice minister of the interior, lamented the events in a press conference. “We want to lament the vandalic attitudes by opposition politicians who today have revealed their true colors, they’ve shown what they were planning, what they wanted to do.

Morales, Bolivia’s first Indigenous president and a former coca grower and union leader, has presided over Bolivia since 2006. Since then, the Andean country has witnessed steady economic growth.  

  • Published in World

ICJ: Chile 'Not Obligated' to Negotiate with Bolivia over Sea Access

The International Court of Justice can present three different scenarios.

The International Court of Justice in The Hague Monday delivered its ruling on the dispute between Bolivia and neighbor Chile on access to the Pacific Ocean in which the court said that Chile "has no obligation to negotiate with Bolivia" over the matter. 

With 12 votes against three, the United Nations court concluded that there is no such obligation.

Abdulqawi Ahmed Yusuf, president of the ICJ, opened the session by reading the preliminary considerations of the ruling on the contentious "Obligation to negotiate" filed by Bolivia against Chile.

He also presented Bolivia's eight legal arguments as a basis for filing the claim at the court and also for Chile's defense.

A day ahead of the ruling, Bolivian President Evo Morales said Bolivia's return to the sea was "inevitable" ahead of a World Court ruling on Bolivia's claim that Chile has ducked a legal obligation to discuss the landlocked country's access to the sea.

Morales made the comments during a news conference on Saturday just moments before boarding a flight to The Hague where he attended the verdict declaration session. 

The conflict over the maritime boundaries between Bolivia and Chile began in 1828 when the Chilean Constitution established that its territory reached the depopulated sector of Atacama, a proclamation that ended with its invasion in 1879. Bolivia lost 400 kilometers of coast and 120,000 square kilometers of territory.

The lawsuit filed in April 2013 called for a sovereign exit to the Pacific Ocean that Bolivia lost by force 136 years ago when its port of Antofagasta was invaded. In September 2015, the Court of The Hague rejected the Chilean request to declare itself incompetent and kept analyzing the positions of the parties involved.

  • Published in World
Subscribe to this RSS feed