U2 Lead Singer Bono Loses Voice In Concert, Band Cuts Short Tour

Berlin: Irish rock group U2 was forced to cut short a concert in Berlin before thousands of fans after performing only a few songs when lead singer Bono lost his voice.

"We're so sorry for tonight's cancellation," the group said in a statement on its website about the Saturday night show.

"Bono was in great form and great voice prior to the show and we were all looking forward to the second night in Berlin, but after a few songs, he suffered a complete loss of voice."

"We don't know what has happened and we're taking medical advice."

It was the second and last concert by the group in the German capital as part of its "Experience + Innocence" tour.

After the first few songs Bono appeared to have a problem with his voice. Several times, the 58-year-old stopped singing to drink from a thermos flask.

He finally announced that he could no longer continue.

The audience will be able to return for another U2 concert at a future date.

"As always, we appreciate our audience's understanding and all our fans' support in Berlin and those who travelled from afar. We will update you very soon," the statement said.

At the first Berlin show on Friday, Bono condemned the recent far-right violence in the German city of Chemnitz.

  • Published in Culture

Puerto Rican Musician Gilberto Santa Rosa Arrives In Cuba

Puerto Rican singer Gilberto Santa Rosa arrived in Cuba today to give two concerts, on his 40th tour and his fourth-decade musical career.

The first presentation of the Puerto Rican is scheduled for tomorrow at the Josone Varadero Jazz & Salsa Festival, which began this Thursday at the famous Cuban resort.

Santa Rosa heads the line-up of the event along with other prestigious foreign and local musicians, including Salvadoran singer-songwriter Alvaro Torres, U.S. jazz musician Nicholas Payton and the Cubans Gente de Zona, pianist Alejandro Falcon and the legendary rumba group Los Muñequitos de Matanzas.

Two days later, El Caballero de la Salsa, also known as the singer, will perform in this city, in a unique concert scheduled for 21:00 local time on the Havana Malecon.

The successful performer of hits like Vivir sin ella y Que alguien me diga and winner of several Latin Grammy awards has many followers on the island, and has worked alongside local artists Descemer Bueno, El Micha and Candido Fabre.

  • Published in Culture

Manchester attack: Ariana Grande to play benefit concert on Sunday

Justin Bieber, Coldplay and Katy Perry are among the stars who will join Ariana Grande at a benefit concert following the Manchester attack.

The One Love Manchester show comes less than two weeks after 22 people were killed by a suicide attacker as people left Grande's show at Manchester Arena.

The tribute gig will be held at the Old Trafford cricket ground on Sunday.

Those who were at the Manchester Arena concert are being offered free tickets by Grande.

Others performing include Take That, One Direction's Niall Horan, Miley Cyrus, Usher and Pharrell. The venue has a 50,000 capacity and the gig will be broadcast live on BBC TV and radio. Proceeds will go to the We Love Manchester emergency fund.

Seven children were among the victims who died when Salman Abedi detonated a bomb on 22 May.

Grande, 23, suspended her Dangerous Woman tour, including cancelling two shows at London's O2 Arena, following the attack.

But the US singer had promised to return to Manchester, saying: "I don't want to go the rest of the year without being able to see and hold and uplift my fans".

"I'll be returning to the incredibly brave city of Manchester to spend time with my fans and to have a benefit concert in honour and raise money for the victims and their families."

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/17AB3/production/_96274969_mediaitem96274968.jpgColdplay are among those to be performing

Earlier on Tuesday, Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins told BBC Radio Manchester: "When the idea of the concert came up, my first reaction was, we need to speak to the families of the victims and see what they feel.

"It's fair to say that the majority of them are very much in favour, there are some that clearly aren't and that is absolutely understandable."

After the attack, the singer posted her condolences on Twitter, saying: "Broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words."

Fifty people injured in the attack were still being treated in hospital - including 17 in critical care.

Manchester Victoria station reopened on Tuesday. The station, which is connected to Manchester Arena, suffered structural damage in the incident.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/16157/production/_96255409_17087027-3451-475a-8448-824dacff0cdd.jpg Well-wishers left tributes at St Ann's Square for the victims of last Monday's attack / Reuters 

Police say their investigation into the attack is "making good progress" and has around 1,000 people working on it.

In total 16 people have been arrested - but a woman and a 16-year-old boy were later released without charge.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/FE3D/production/_96258056_ae8b11c7-2fb4-4347-8c9b-2e0e11099f1b.jpgFlowers and tributes lined St Ann's Square in Manchester on Monday / Getty Images

  • Published in Culture

McCartney Dazzles Madrid with His Songs

MADRID, Spain - Paul McCartney held his long-awaited concert tonight in Madrid, dazzling those of the same age group and youths with exciting and timeless songs that shaped pop music.

  • Published in Culture

Cuban and Italian Pianists to Perform in France

Havana, May 31 (Prensa Latina) The City Hall of Lyon (France) will host next Thursday a four hands piano concert by Marcos Madrigal (Cuba) and Alessandro Stella (Italy), the organizing committee announced today.

The two young pianists will play pieces written by established composers, including Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Gioachino Rossini, Darius Milhaud, Claude Debussy and Ottorino Respighi.

The concert, which is organized by the Italian Cultural Institute of Lyon, will bring together for the first time on stage Madrigal and Stella, who will record an album together and offer several performances.

  • Published in Culture

Ringo Starr Cancels Concert in North Carolina over Anti-LGBT Law

LOS ANGELES – The former drummer for The Beatles, Ringo Starr, announced Wednesday the cancellation of his concert in Cary, North Carolina, in protest over the law approved in that state that, in his opinion, harms the lesbian, gay, transsexual and bisexual community.

  • Published in Culture

Marc Anthony will offer a concert in Cuba

According to REPORTUR.mx, Puerto Rican singer Marc Anthony will perform in Havana soon. The concert is actually panning already for this summer 2016.

A source close to the artist has said that the concert will probably be in August.

Anthony would join the trail of success and enthusiasm left by The Rolling Stones, who gave a free historical concert in the Sports City of Havana, on March 25.

  • Published in Culture
Subscribe to this RSS feed