In January, Julian Assange's advocates made an application to the court, explaining that his breach of former bail conditions was no longer valid as Sweden had withdrawn the European arrest warrant and proceedings against Assange had ended.
Julian Assange has dismissed the allegations suggesting that a UK court upheld an arrest warrant against him as "fake news," adding that the hearing was still underway.
"Wall to wall fake news stating … the government won today's hearing. Nothing of the sort has happened. The hearing is still happening. Only one point has been ruled on," he posted on his Twitter account.
@JulianAssange Here's Canada's state TV pumping out fake news. The hearing is still on right now. We only lost the first of four points. I was never charged. My asylum was over US extradition and Sweden dropped its so-called "preliminary investigation" a year ago. https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status…
Being afraid of extradition to the United States over his whistleblowing organization's exposure of classified documents, Assange has been living at Ecuador's embassy in London since summer 2012, being granted political asylum, thereby breaching his bail conditions.
In December 2017, Ecuador granted naturalization (the legal process by which a non-citizen in a country may acquire its citizenship) to Assange. Ecuador's Foreign Ministry explained the move by saying that they feared third party states may threaten his life.
The UK issued a warrant in 2012, and he would have been arrested for skipping bail to avoid extradition to Sweden to face an allegation of rape if he attempted to leave the embassy. Despite the fact that the Swedish case has been dropped, the British authorities consider that he breached his bail conditions.
Julian Assange has been in hiding since he released thousands of classified US military documents and diplomatic cables on his whistleblowing website WikiLeaks in 2010.
Espinosa said that the government continues to work with the U.K. to “explore alternatives and options to resolve the case.”
After the surprising news was released two days ago, the Ecuadorean government confirmed in a press conference this morning that it WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was given citizenship in the Andean nation.
In a press conference held today Ecuador’s foreign minister, Maria Fernanda Espinosa reaffirmed that Julian Assange was granted Ecuadorean citizenship Dec. 21, 2017. Assange, who has been sheltered in the Ecuadorean Embassy in London since June 19, 2012 when he was granted political asylum, began the application in September.
She stressed several times that Ecuador is following all national and international laws and is “dedicated to protecting the human rights” of Assange in this “delicate case.”
Despite the confirmed citizenship status, Espinosa said that the government continues to work with the U.K. to “explore alternatives and options to resolve the case.”
The foreign ministers said that her government tried to obtain diplomatic status for the Wikileaks founder within the United Kingdom on Dec. 20, but that the British government immediately denied the asylum seeker such status.
Earlier this week Ecuador's foreign ministry released a statement that read: "Julian Assange received international protection from the Ecuadorean government in August 2012.
"The current government inherited this issue and it's looking for solution alternatives, with full respect of national and international law, as well as human rights... in coordination with the United Kingdom, with which we have the best friendship and cooperation relations."
Assange is committed to not "intervening in issues non-related with his asylum condition," as requested by Ecuadorian government, the statement continued.
The Foreign Office in the UK has confirmed that Assange continues to face arrest for breaching bail conditions if he leaves the embassy premises. He fears that if arrested by UK authorities they he will be extradited to the United States whose government is looking to prosecute Assange for publishing thousands of U.S. classified military and diplomatic documents via his Wikileaks page.
Rumors about Assange's condition were sparked Jan. 1 when he tweeted a 60-character code and a link to the song "Paper Planes" by British singer MIA. The Ecuadorean government has since insisted that "nothing has happened."
In a picture posted Wednesday on his personal Twitter account, Assange appears wearing a jersey from Ecuador's national football team.
The Australian activist now appears in Ecuador's Civil Registry database and holds an identity document: 'Julian Paul Assange' is registered in the Internal Revenue Service with document number 1729926483.
When is the year's best-selling album not the year's best-selling album? When it's by Taylor Swift.
The star outsold every other artist in the US last year - shifting 1.9 million copies of her fifth record, Reputation, in just seven weeks.
But her decision to withhold it from streaming services until December damaged its chances in the chart of 2017's most popular albums.
That's because 1,500 streams now count as the equivalent of one album sale.
Swift accumulated 280,000 "streaming equivalent albums" in the four weeks Reputation was available on Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal and other services. But that wasn't enough to put her ahead of Kendrick Lamar and Ed Sheeran.
Sheeran's chart behemoth ÷ (Divide) was the year's most popular album overall, according to Nielsen Music, which compiles the US charts for Billboard magazine.
The star accumulated 2,764,000 "equivalent album units" - a measure which combines pure sales, streaming equivalent albums and track equivalent albums (where 10 individual downloads count as one album).
London, Jun 6 (Prensa Latina) London's publishing house Bloomsbury celebrates today with a special collection the 20 years of the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the first of seven fantastic novels written by J. K. Rowling.
Since May 31st, readers in the United Kingdom can choose a copy of the book according to the color of each house of the Hogwarts School of Magic and Witchcraft, which became one of the main sites of the books.
The new editions are available in red for Gryffindor fans, yellow for Hufflepuff fans, blue for Ravenclaw fans and green for Slytherin fans, as well as other character profiles and illustrations for important students who have stayed in each house.
In June 1997, when it was still a small publishing house, Bloomsbury agreed to publish a first and small print run of 500 copies of Rowling's work, which had been rejected by 12 other publishing houses.
By mid-2013, some 450 million copies of the seven books had been sold and translated into more than 65 languages.
Ariana Grande returned to England on Friday, June 2, days before her “One Love Manchester,” benefiting the Manchester terror attack.
The pop star, 23, was photographed exiting a private jet in London with her parents and boyfriend, Mac Miller, morning. Grande was dressed casually in gray sweatpants teamed with a white zip-up hoodie and wore her hair in a high ponytail.
Ariana Grande seen arriving in the UK for the first time since the terrorist attack at her concert in Manchester.TheMegaAgency.com
The “Focus” singer has two days to prepare for her show, which will take place at the Emirates Old Trafford Cricket Ground in Manchester on Sunday, June 4. The star-studded lineup for the “One Love Manchester” fundraising event includes Justin Bieber, Coldplay, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Usher, Pharrell Williams, Little Mix, Take That and Niall Horan.
According to Ticketmaster, their site “was unsurprisingly met with remarkable demand for One Love Manchester tickets we had on sale this morning —140,000 fans were on the website and our call centre was buzzing. With over 450,000 searches on our site for One Love Manchester over the last 24 hours, demand was always going to be extremely high.”
Ariana Grande seen arriving in the UK for the first time since the terrorist attack at her concert in Manchester.TheMegaAgency.com
Proceeds from the concert will go to the families and loved ones of those who died in the suicide bombing at Grande’s Dangerous Woman world tour stop in Manchester on May 22, in which 22 people were killed and more than 50 were injured.
Grande, who was physically unharmed in the attack, took to Instagram on May 26 to share a message of hope with fans after the horrifying incident. “I have been thinking of my fans, and of you all, non stop over the past week. The way you have handled all of this has been more inspiring and made me more proud than you'll ever now. The compassion, kindness, love, strength and oneness that you've shown one another this past week is the exact opposite of the heinous intentions it must take to pull off something as evil as what happened Monday,” she wrote. “ … We will never be able to understand why events like this take place because it is not in our nature, which is why we shouldn't recoil.”
Justin Bieber, Coldplay and Katy Perry are among the stars who will join Ariana Grande at a benefit concert following the Manchester attack.
The One Love Manchester show comes less than two weeks after 22 people were killed by a suicide attacker as people left Grande's show at Manchester Arena.
The tribute gig will be held at the Old Trafford cricket ground on Sunday.
Those who were at the Manchester Arena concert are being offered free tickets by Grande.
Others performing include Take That, One Direction's Niall Horan, Miley Cyrus, Usher and Pharrell. The venue has a 50,000 capacity and the gig will be broadcast live on BBC TV and radio. Proceeds will go to the We Love Manchester emergency fund.
But the US singer had promised to return to Manchester, saying: "I don't want to go the rest of the year without being able to see and hold and uplift my fans".
"I'll be returning to the incredibly brave city of Manchester to spend time with my fans and to have a benefit concert in honour and raise money for the victims and their families."
Coldplay are among those to be performing
Earlier on Tuesday, Greater Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins told BBC Radio Manchester: "When the idea of the concert came up, my first reaction was, we need to speak to the families of the victims and see what they feel.
"It's fair to say that the majority of them are very much in favour, there are some that clearly aren't and that is absolutely understandable."
After the attack, the singer posted her condolences on Twitter, saying: "Broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words."
Fifty people injured in the attack were still being treated in hospital - including 17 in critical care.
Manchester Victoria station reopened on Tuesday. The station, which is connected to Manchester Arena, suffered structural damage in the incident.
Well-wishers left tributes at St Ann's Square for the victims of last Monday's attack / Reuters
Police say their investigation into the attack is "making good progress" and has around 1,000 people working on it.
In total 16 people have been arrested - but a woman and a 16-year-old boy were later released without charge.
Flowers and tributes lined St Ann's Square in Manchester on Monday /Getty Images
The first steps towards overturning a legal ban on prosecuting former Prime Minister Tony Blair over the Iraq War will be considered by the High Court on Tuesday.
A private criminal prosecution against the former Labour PM was blocked last year when it was ruled Blair had immunity from any charges related to the Iraq War and that any such case could also “involve details being disclosed under the Official Secrets Act.”
A more senior judge will consider on Tuesday whether there are sufficient grounds to grant a judicial review of the rejection of the prosecution.
Last year’s private prosecution, brought by a former top Iraqi general now living in exile – General Abdul-Wahid ar-Ribat – wants Blair, his foreign secretary Jack Straw, and Lord Goldsmith, who was attorney-general in the run up to the invasion, to face trial in a British court.
It seeks their conviction for the crime of “aggression” and follows last year’s damning Chilcot report, which found Britain invaded Iraq under the false pretext that deposed Iraqi President Saddam Hussein’s regime had weapons of mass destruction.
The High Court judge on Tuesday will consider paper submissions made by lawyers on both sides. There will be no public hearing.
It will also decide whether the government’s top law officer, Attorney-General Jeremy Wright QC, can join the case. Wright wants the ban upheld, believing it is in the public interest that private prosecution be blocked.
“The next stage will be the court considering the papers and making a decision on whether to grant permission for a judicial review,” a spokesperson for Wright told the Guardian.
“The attorney is seeking to intervene to represent the public interest.”
Wright argues that the case for the crime of aggression does not exist in English law, even though it does in international law.
That argument, however, appears to have been undermined in a document written by Goldsmith himself. In his 2003 memo on the legality of the Iraq War, Goldsmith, who was then attorney-general, wrote: “Aggression is a crime under customary international law which automatically forms part of domestic law.”