Gaza City: Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal on Thursday rejected any attempt to disarm his Palestinian Islamist movement in Gaza as demanded by Israel.
"The weapons of the resistance are sacred and we will not accept that they be on the agenda" of future negotiations with Israel, Meshaal told a news conference in Doha where he lives in exile.
Israel has consistently linked the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip, devastated during its 50-day war with Hamas that ended on Tuesday, to the territory's demilitarisation.
- Israeli fighter jets striking Gaza after massive mortar fire from the strip - IDF
- Top Palestinian body suspends Israel recognition until it recognizes Palestine
- Palestinian groups vow response to Israeli airstrikes
- 5 times Israel ‘had no choice’ and went to war
- ‘New reality’? Israel may increasingly use F-35s in Syria raids after Russia’s S-300 delivery