Solidarity in U.K. with Congresswomen attacked by Trump

British organization Hope not Hate called today to stand in solidarity with the Democratic congresswomen who are the object of a racist attack by US President Donald Trump.

Donald Trump is racist - we all know that. Now he attacks colored congresswomen, telling them to return 'to their home countries', affirms the activist group, while inviting the public to sign an open letter in solidarity with the four American legislators.

In the text, Hope not Hate, which is dedicated to campaign against racism and fascism, conveys to Rashida Tlaib, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Presley and Alexandria Ocasio Cortez their disgust for the Tweets of the president, who on Sunday invited them 'To return to their countries completely broken and plagued with crimes from where they came'.

His obvious and shameless racism has horrified the entire world, says the organization, after ensuring that the four congressmen of foreign descent are the best example of the diversity and strength of the United States people.

Thank you for showing the world that the United States can still teach a leader to be proud, even though the White House renounced that role, the text adds.

The day before, the leader of the opposition British Labor Party, Jeremy Corbyn, also called Trump's tweets racist, and also criticized the two candidates for replacing the resigning Prime Minister Theresa May for not daring to use that term to describe the behavior of the North American leader.

In a televised debate earlier this week, both Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt agreed that Trump's comments were inappropriate, but refused to label them as racist.

According to Corbyn, the future head of government of the United Kingdom, whose name will be known next Wednesday, must confront the US president, and not be complacent with him, in exchange for signing an advantageous commercial treaty that could put the system at risk.

 

  • Published in World

Trump's Congresswomen Tweets "Completely Unacceptable": UK's Theresa May

London: Outgoing British Prime Minister Theresa May on Monday condemned US President Donald Trump's tweets telling progressive Democrat congresswomen to "go back" where they came from as "completely unacceptable".

"Her view is that the language which was used to refer to the women was completely unacceptable," May's spokesman told reporters.

Trump and May have endured a rocky relationship, which took a turn for the worse last week following the leak of diplomatic British cables highly critical of his presidency.

Angered by May's support for her ambassador, Trump assailed the prime minister over her handling of fraught Brexit negotiations and welcomed her impending departure from office.

"What a mess she and her representatives have created," Trump fumed in a series of tweets. "I told her how it should be done, but she decided to go another way."

"The good news for the wonderful United Kingdom is that they will soon have a new Prime Minister," he wrote.

Boris Johnson is the heavy favourite to replace May as prime minister and has spoken out in support of the US president, with both men enthusiastic backers of Brexit.

Johnson wants to visit Trump immediately when he becomes prime minister to try to negotiate a post-Brexit trade deal, according to the Times on Monday.

But May's comments will now raise the pressure on him to condemn the president's comments.

Trump accused congresswomen who "originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe" of "viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run."

"Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done," Trump wrote.

  • Published in World

Iranian president says U.S. has failed on every path taken against the Islamic Revolution

Tehran, July 14 (RHC)-- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the United States has failed on every path it has taken against Iran.  President Rouhani told a large crowd of people in the northeastern city of Shirvan, in North Khorasan Province, that whatever Washington had tried against Iran -- including “the harshest of sanctions” -- had wound up in failure.

“It’s been 14 months that the world’s largest economic and military power has been imposing the harshest of sanctions against the Iranian nation, sanctions that would have taken any other nation down,” the Iranian president said. “But the heroic, vigilant, and resistant nation of Islamic Iran has firmly withstood those sanctions over this period.”

“Whatever path the Americans took — be it social, political, and legal — led to failure,” President Rouhani said.  He pointed to recent meetings of the United Nations and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), where the U.S. failed to advance its agenda against Iran.

Iran says the UN nuclear watchdog’s special meeting held at Washington’s request backfired and turned into another failure for Americans.

Last year, U.S. President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled his country out of a 2015 multilateral nuclear deal with Iran and imposed what he called the “toughest ever” sanctions against Tehran, notably targeting its energy sector.

Those sanctions have hurt the Iranian economy, but all of the other parties to the Iran deal, which have stayed in the agreement, have been holding meetings with Tehran to discuss how they can make the pact properly work for the Iranian side as well.

Tehran has said it would potentially scrap the deal if its partners failed to do enough for Iran to achieve the economic benefits that it is promised under the agreement.

Edited by Ed Newman
  • Published in World

Clip Shows Trump Kissing Ex-Staffer. His Lawyers Claim Video Clears Him

Attorneys for Donald Trump say the video of the president embracing then-campaign staffer Alva Johnson in 2016 refutes her allegations that Trump forcibly kissed her without consent. Johnson's attorneys say if nothing else, the footage proves her claims were truthful.

Far from providing clarity, the 15-second video released Wednesday by Charles Harder, an attorney for Trump, only led to conflicting interpretations.

In a February lawsuit and interview with The Washington Post, Johnson alleged the president grabbed her hand and leaned in for a kiss before a Florida rally on Aug. 24, 2016. She turned her head, which caused Trump to kiss the side of her mouth, she alleged, leaving her humiliated.

Here’s the video of President Trump “forcibly” kissing Alva Johnson on the mouth

In a Wednesday court filing, Harder brushed off Johnson's battery claim as "unmeritorious and frivolous." The video, he argued, shows an "innocent interaction that is mutual - and not forcible."

Trump and his legal team have long denied Johnson's account. In February, then-White House press secretary Sarah Sanders dismissed Johnson's allegation as "absurd on its face," adding: "This never happened and is directly contradicted by multiple highly credible eye witness accounts."

Hassan Zavareei, a lawyer for Johnson, said in a statement the video "corroborates exactly what Alva said."

"Now, whether or not everybody would have felt violated by that is an open question. But Alva was. And she testified exactly why she felt uncomfortable. She testified that she didn't really know how to react when it happened and that she was confused and uncomfortable," he wrote Thursday. "After Access Hollywood came out, Ms Johnson was able to put in context exactly what Trump had done to her and what it meant. Indeed he told her himself, in his own words, exactly what that kiss was."

Speaking with The Post earlier this year, Johnson said she did not fully process the gravity of the encounter until about six weeks after the alleged kiss, on Oct. 7, 2016, when The Post published the "Access Hollywood" tape of Trump bragging about kissing, groping and forcing himself on women.

"You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful - I just start kissing them," Trump said in 2005. "It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything."

"I felt sick to my stomach," Johnson said, adding she quit the campaign about three weeks before the election. "That was what he did to me."

Zavareei alleged Trump and his associates, namely Sanders, were dishonest in their claims that the incident never happened. In a separate Wednesday filing after the video was released, Johnson's attorneys alleged Trump's legal team had removed the video's metadata, preventing Johnson from knowing "who created the video, when it was created, and other important information about its origins."

Harder did not return an email requesting comment Thursday.

In previous interview with The Washington Post, two Trump supporters that Johnson identified as witnesses - a campaign official and Pam Bondi, then the Florida attorney general - denied seeing the alleged kiss. In the brief video, which was reportedly taken by campaign volunteer Brian Hayes, Trump is seen placing both of his arms on Johnson's shoulders and appears to plant a kiss near her right cheek, though it's not completely clear if he makes contact with her mouth.

In the court filings, Harder indicates that after the interaction Johnson told Trump, "We're going to get you in the White House and I'll see you in February" - though it's not completely clear in the video who made the remark.

Johnson is one of 16 women to accuse the president of sexual misconduct. Many of the accusations came following the release of the Access Hollywood tape. The most recent allegation came from New York-based writer E. Jean Carroll, who said Trump sexually assaulted her in a department store dressing room in late 1995 or early 1996.

In response, Trump said Carroll was "totally lying" and "not my type."

  • Published in World

Cuba Defends International Solidarity among Nations

At the 41st session of the United Nations Human Rights Council, Cuba defends international solidarity among nations, said Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez on Wednesday.

In a message on Twitter, the Cuban Foreign Minister criticized the actions of the U.S. government that seek to denigrate Cuban cooperation programs with other nations.

'While the United States pretends to discredit Cuban cooperation programs with sister nations, #Cuba continues to defend, in the 41st session of the Council on #Human Rights, international solidarity among people,' Rodriguez wrote in @BrunoRguezP.

President Donald Trump's administration has repeatedly attacked Cuban aid workers who help other nations such as Venezuela, while criticizing the quality of the island's professionals and calling them slaves, a term also used by Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro when he cancelled the More Doctors program.

In late June, the Cuban collaborator of internationalist missions, Dr. Enmanuel Vigil, in an interview with the BBC, denied the accusation of 'slavery' to which the Cuban doctors have been subjected.

In this sense, Vigil stressed that all internationalist missions in Cuba are voluntary: 'They are agreements between governments, so each collaborator knows that he receives a part of the monetary gain and the rest enters the National Health System,' he said.

For years, Cuba has collaborated with various nations of the world in sectors such as health, education and culture, among other areas, attesting to its humanist and supportive vocation.

Currently, some 30,000 health workers work in 67 countries.

  • Published in Cuba

British Ambassador critical of the Trump Government Resigns

London, July 10 (Prensa Latina) The ambassador of the United Kingdom to the United States, Kim Darroch, resigned today, after the controversy unleashed by the leak of messages in which he launched strong criticism of the government of President Donald Trump.

The diplomat, who described Trump as stupid, crazy and pompous, submitted his resignation in a letter sent Wednesday to the permanent Undersecretary of the British Foreign Ministry, Simon McDonald.

According to Darroch's letter, since the filtering of official documents in which he evaluated the US administration as inept and dysfunctional, among other qualifiers, there has been much speculation about his position and his tenure at the head of the embassy.

The current situation makes it impossible for me to continue carrying out my work as I would like, added the ambassador, of whom Trump even said he would never talk to him.

After the incident, British authorities initiated an investigation to find the author of the leaked messages, and defended the frankness of his representative in Washington, considering that he was only doing his job.

On Wednesday, outgoing Prime Minister Theresa May backed Darroch at the start of her traditional weekly appearance before the House of Commons.

We regret that you have felt the need to leave your post, said the conservative president, adding that the country had a 'huge debt of gratitude' with the diplomat.

May, who will leave office on July 23, also encouraged public officials to continue giving their advice with frankness.

For his part, the leader of the Opposition in Parliament, the Labor Jeremy Corbyn, also lamented the resignation of the British ambassador, and urged the rest of the deputies to express regret for the news.

The day before, Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt, who competes with former Chancellor Boris Johnson for being the relief of the prime minister, considered disrespectful the qualifications launched by Trump, and during a televised debate with his rival promised that if elected he would keep Darroch in his Market Stall.

Johnson, however, refused to answer about the fate of the ambassador under his eventual government, and merely said that as prime minister he would make important and politically sensitive decisions about who would be the representative of the United Kingdom before the United States.

  • Published in World

Trump: Between the Hatred and Love of Many

The opinion poll results don't have the last word, although they do give some signs impossible to ignore.

A survey published this Sunday by The Washington Post and the ABC television network repeat the Donald Trump’s edge for the coming 2020 elections.

The approval rate rises to 47%, "the highest since he took office at the White House."

This supports the work the president is doing from the White House, and it supposes an increment since April, when 42% affirmed the same.

However, the investigation also reveals that half of registered voters disapprove Donald Trump’s form of governing.

Also, 65% of interviewed considers that he acts in a way "that is not common in the president of the United States."

At the same time, only 28% believes that he behaves in a "suitable and appropriate manner".

However, according to the interpretation of the Post, the survey shows that Trump has a "narrow path" that could take him to be reelected in the coming elections.

There is a very important lesson here, it would be mistaken to apply on the North American society the same scale of values than to other societies.

When the president acts in an extremely severe fashion against Central American immigrants it causes the applause of those who support him.

.

Besides causing exasperation among those who favor to aid the human rights.

And that shows its results in public opinion polls.

It helps to understand that more than 50% of the consulted North Americans have a positive approach on measures executed by Trump whose outcome has benefitted the full employment.

Nevertheless, 42% rejects his administration and last October figures went to 46%.

When asked on how much trust Trump deserved for the patched health of his economy, 47% responded that "mostly", while the 48% affirmed that "only a little" or "almost nothing."

At the same time, in the foreign policy area, between 40-55% of the consulted North Americans have a negative opinion about it.

The survey was elaborated through phone interviews between June 28th and last July 1st.

At present there isn’t a fairly believable prognosis on the direction that will follow the 2020 elections.

Donald Trump Calls British Ambassador To US "A Very Stupid Guy"

Washington: President Donald Trump on Tuesday called the British ambassador to the United States "a very stupid guy," one day after declaring he would cut contact with the diplomat following a leak of cables describing Trump as "inept."

"I don't know the Ambassador but have been told he is a pompous fool," Trump wrote in a series of early morning tweets doubling down on British envoy Kim Darroch.

"The wacky Ambassador that the U.K. foisted upon the United States is not someone we are thrilled with, a very stupid guy," Trump added.

London has been scrambling to stem the damage caused by the release of confidential cables from Darroch, which in addition to describing Trump as inept also called his White House "uniquely dysfunctional."

The US president's early morning wrath was not solely reserved for Darroch, however. Trump also doubled down in attacking British Prime Minister Theresa May regarding Brexit, saying she "went her own foolish way-was unable to get it done. A disaster!"

kko62328Kim Darroch also called Trump's White House "uniquely dysfunctional."

Trump said Darroch should "speak to his country, and Prime Minister May, about their failed Brexit negotiation, and not be upset with my criticism of how badly it was handled."

The release of the British cables came just a month after a state visit by Trump that included a 41-gun salute welcome at Buckingham Palace and a banquet dinner with the queen.

Trump concluded his tweets by demanding that someone tell Darroch "the USA now has the best Economy & Military anywhere in the World, by far and they are both only getting bigger, better and stronger.....Thank you, Mr. President!"

The leaked cables threaten to complicate London's efforts to strike a new trade agreement with the United States, to mitigate potential damage from Britain's withdrawal from the European Union.

May's government, meanwhile, has reiterated its "full support" for its ambassador to Washington.

  • Published in World
Subscribe to this RSS feed