Venezuela: Opposition Legislator Linked to Drone Attack Detained

Opposition legislator Juan Requesens was detained after being linked to the assassination attempt by retired military man Juan Carlos Monasterios.

Venezuela’s Bolivarian Service for National Intelligence (Sebin) detained legislator Juan Requesens Tuesday, after evidence was found linking him to the failed assassination attempt against President Nicolas Maduro last week.

He was linked to the failed attempt by retired military officer Juan Carlos Monasterios, alias Bons, who was also involved in the plot that flew explosive drones over Avenida Bolivar in Caracas.

Monasterios revealed that Requesens was in charge of establishing the contacts in Colombia to host and train a group of young Venezuelans who are members of the Venezuelan opposition.

Monasterios also participated in the attack on the Frente Paramacay on August 6, 2017, and trained a group of Venezuelans in Colombia that same year.

Requesens is a member of the opposition party Primero Justicia or First Justice. Diosdado Cabello, president of Venezuela’s National Constituent Assembly, announced they would start proceeding to revoke parliamentary immunity for those legislators involved in the assassination attempt; the first step to begin a trial.

In a public statement, Tuesday president Maduro announced he would use the country’s international accords to request the extradition of at least five people, including a former colonel, who has been implicated in the “terror attack” and is currently living in the United States or Colombia.

Maduro also alleged the former president of Venezuela’s National Assembly Julio Borges was involved in the attack. “All the statements (of the six people detained) point to Julio Borges, who lives in a mansion in Bogota protected by the outgoing government of Colombia,” Maduro said.

A former police chief, Salvatore Lucchese, who is also in Bogota, also claimed to have played a role in the attack and warned of others in a televised interview. “We had an objective, and at the moment we were not able to materialize it 100 percent… The armed struggle will continue,” he said.

  • Published in World

Venezuela's Armed Forces Voice Unwavering Support to President,Gov't

Caracas, Aug 6 (Prensa Latina) Venezuela's Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino condemned the failed assassination attempt against Nicolas Maduro and voiced the Armed Forces' unwavering support to the President and the Government.

Addressing the nation on national television from Tiuna Fortress, Padrino said the attack on Saturday evening 'reached a very dangerous extreme'.

The attempt was concocted to destroy, behead a whole State. Leading public figures, the military high command, representatives of the people were at the event, said the General in Chief.

Maduro was delivering the closing speech on the 81st Anniversary of the National Guard on Saturday early evening when two drones loaded with explosives blew up close to the platform from where he was speaking. Seven guards got wounded and are being treated in hospital.

After conveying sympathy for those wounded, the Miniter they are being taken care of and are recovering well.

Several hours after the failed attack, Maduro denounced on national television it was a plot of the Venezuelan-Colombian-Miami ultra right wing, and particularly mentioned Colombia's outgoing president Juan Manuel Santos of being behind the assassination attempt.

'We have been 20 years resisting perversity, moral degration of sectors of the Venezuelan ultra right wing that keep resorting to violence to

dismember a democratic state,' stressed General Padrino who assured the Armed Forces will defend and protect sovereignty, peace and order.

Six of the perpetrators were captured right after the assassination attempt, several vehicles were seized and raids have been carried out in hotels of Caracas where criminal and video evidences of alleged collaborators were taken by police investigators, said Minister of Interior, Justice and Peace Nestor Reverol.

Speaking on national television on Sunday Reverol added two of the arrested were involved in previous violent actions like the assault on Paramacay Fort, in Carabobo, in August 2017, and the other was apprehended in 2014 for taking part in the violence unleashed by the right wing. He was granted pardon.

The Minister said the two drones used were model DJIM600, designed for industry use to lift and carry weight. They were carrying roughly a kilogram of C4 explosive each. The explosive charge was capable of doing effective damage in a radio of approximately of 50 meters, the official said.

Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza summoned on Sunday diplomats accredited in Venezuela to explained the event and provide details of the attack.

Arreaza called on the diplomats to convey the truth to their governments and reject attacks from the national and international right wing against the Bolivarian nation.

Those who doubted about conspiracy, here there's another prove,' said the Foreign Minister, adding 'what happened on Saturday set the alerts off and shows we have been suffering attacks at several levels.'

  • Published in World

Venezuela's President Addresses the Nation after Failed Attempt

Venezuela''s President Nicolas Maduro who survived a failed drone attack while he was addressing a military parade on Saturday late afternoon in Caracas held Colombia''s outgoing President Juan Manuel Santos and the ultra right wing of the two countries responsible for the assassination attempt.

The Head of State was delivering the closing speech on the 81st Anniversary of the National Guard when several drones loaded with explosives blew up close to the platform from where he was speaking at 17:41 local time. Seven guards got wounded and are being treated in hospital.

Addressing the nation from the Miraflores Palace (seat of Government) hours later, he said the police had immediately launched an operation and captured some of the pertrators of the failed attack, adding the investigation is moving fast.

The first results -he said- point to groups of the Venezuelan and Colombian oligarchy being behind the terrorist action with financial support from individuals in Florida, US.

He particularly mentioned Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos of being involved in the plot to kill him. He denounced Santos for having predited in recent days the soon end of Maduro and his Government.

Having said that, Maduro blamed Venezuelan and Colombian rightist groups of conniving to bring down his Government and of hiring hitmen for attempting against his life.

They are feeling cornered by the success of recent politics and as the extreme opposition fails to win in democratic elections, they resort to violence and crime, Maduro denounced.

The President added he asked the Public Ministry to move fast to complete the investigation. The full force of the law will fall on all the perpetrators and those responsible, he stressed. 'They will have no pardon,' he stressed.

He asked the nation to stay united and assured hatred will not prevail over peace.

  • Published in World

Maduro Highlights Fidel Castro's Legacy in Sao Paulo Forum

Havana, Jul 17 (Prensa Latina) Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro highlighted today the legacy of Fidel Castro's resistance and struggle at the 24th Meeting of Sao Paulo Forum.

In a plenary session devoted to the thought of the historical leader of the Cuban Revolution, during the last day of the three-day meeting, the President pointed out Fidel's commitment to unity and the defense of social justice and the dignity of the people.

At Havana's Conventions Center, Maduro also mentioned the example of the Cuban leader (1926-2016) as a creator and promoter of projects marked by justice, democracy and dignity, regardless of what those processes are called.

During his speech, the Venezuelan leader addressed the situation in his country, subjected to internal and external aggression, with the United States government as a protagonist, a crusade that includes the danger of a military aggression.

We have resisted the violence and the attacks of the most powerful empire, said Maduro, who recalled the interest of the powers, and in particular of Washington, in seizing the great resources of the South American country, including oil and gold.

  • Published in World

Cuban President Diaz-Canel Attends Sao Paulo Forum

The President of Cuba, Miguel Diaz-Canel, is attending today in this capital the closing day of the 24th Meeting of the Sao Paulo Forum.

At the Convention Center, the leader participates in a plenary session dedicated to the historical leader of the Cuban Revolution, Fidel Castro, one of the promoters of the Forum which was created in 1990 to promote the unity of the progressive and leftist forces of Latin America and the Caribbean.

The heads of state of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro, Bolivia, Evo Morales, and El Salvador, Salvador Sanchez Ceren, as well as personalities and representatives of political parties and organizations, are also at the meeting to honor Fidel Castro.

7z5FdE6L

More than 600 delegates from Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia and Europe are participating in the twenty-fourth edition of the Sao Paulo Forum, which was held on the island after the meetings of 1993 and 2001.

The unity of the left and the progressive sectors centered the debates of the meeting in a context marked by the offensive of the regional right and the escalation of the hegemonic positions of the United States government.

The Sao Paulo Forum is expected to adopt here a declaration aimed at outlining strategies to relaunch the left and counter the onslaught of the defenders of neoliberalism.

  • Published in Cuba

Bolivia's Morales Slams 'Coup Attempts' by US, OAS in Venezuela

Evo Morales said he condemns U.S. coup attempts in Venezuela with the pretext of applying the OAS Inter-American Democratic Charter.

Bolivian President Evo Morales condemned Wednesday U.S. attempts at trashing the Bolivarian Revolutionary government of Venezuela .

RELATED: Venezuela's Maduro Accuses US of Infiltrating State Oil Company

The head of state took to his official Twitter account, writing, “We condemn the coup attempt of #EEUU [U.S.] that seeks to force an intervention of the brother people of Venezuela with the excuse of applying Inter-American Democratic Charter of the #OAS.”

He also called out U.S. Vice President Mike Pence describing his request to suspend Venezuela from the Organization of American States, or OAS, during the organization's 48th General Assembly as being “undemocratic.”

Morales added that Pence's position was in direct “violation of the principles of sovereignty and non-interference” in the internal affairs of other countries.

He said the United States is using the application of the Inter-American Democratic Charter of the OAS as a pretext to stir up regional support for a military intervention in Venezuela.

Apart from requesting Venezuela's suspension from the OAS, Pence also requested member countries impose new sanctions on the South American country

The Bolivian leader said he will not attend the OAS resolution that will start the process of suspending Venezuela from the organization. He argued that such a determination contravenes the principles of international law regarding the sovereignty of states.

Venezuela, led by President Nicolas Maduro, has repeatedly rejected constant aggression and interventionist measures spearheaded by the United States and its “junior partners” in the region, including, but not limited to, Peru, Colombia and Brazil.

On the other hand, Venezuelan authorities have argued that any attempt to suspend the country from the OAS is only an added provocation as the nation announced last year that it was leaving the regional bloc, a process that will be finalized in April 2019.

https://imgs.openmultimedia.biz/640x480/clips/imagen-2018-06-05-215116368826-723064.png

  • Published in World

Maduro Says Several Army Officers Detained on Suspicion of Plotting Coup

MOSCOW (Sputnik) - Several officers of the Venezuelan armed forces have been detained on suspicion of conspiring a coup attempt and plotting to thwart the presidential election while being funded by the Colombian government and the US embassy, President Nicolas Maduro said.

"Having faced charges, they pleaded guilty to having sold themselves to traitors who paid them from Colombia in dollars to make them betray dignity, morals, and loyalty of our armed forces," Maduro was quoted by the Noticias Venezuela news portal as saying during his swearing-in ceremony as president on Thursday.

READ MORE: Maduro Thanks Putin for Recognizing Outcome of Venezuelan Presidential Election

According to Maduro, those detained confessed that they had been seeking to disrupt the presidential election and received money from the US embassy.

The president added that the suspects had been financed by both the US Embassy and the Colombian government, who had been allegedly acting in conjunction.

On Sunday, Venezuela held its presidential election, with four candidates running. According to the National Electoral Council, Maduro was re-elected as Venezuelan president for his second term, having secured 68 percent of votes, with slightly over 46 percent voter turnout.

Following the announcement of the election’s results, a number of countries, such as the United States, Argentina, Spain, Germany, and the United Kingdom characterized the vote as either unfair or illegitimate, questioning the transparent and inclusive nature of the electoral process.

  • Published in World

Raul Castro and Cuban President Congratulate Nicolas Maduro

Cuban leader Raul Castro and President Miguel Díaz-Canel congratulated today Venezuela''s newly re-elected President Nicolas Maduro on his victory in Sunday''s presidential elections.

In his message, the first secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba sent warm congratulations and stressed that 'the Venezuelan people have once again shown their loyalty and commitment to the Bolivarian and Chavista Revolution'.

For his part, Diaz-Canel reaffirmed the solidarity of the Cuban Revolution with the Venezuelan people in the new challenges to face.

'The Bolivarian and Chavista people have once again demonstrated their determination to defend the legacy of Chavez, which you so gracefully represent,' said the Cuban president in his letter to Maduro published on Twitter by Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza.

This Sunday,the Venezuelan president received more than six million votes, representing about 68 percent of the vote, a situation which will keep him in office until 2025.

  • Published in Cuba
Subscribe to this RSS feed