U.S: Time Bomb?

The U.S. president has been characterized by his rhetoric so far. But his recent decisions set off alarms among the world’s most distinguished politicians and experts.

The imposition of duties to the People’s Republic of China is a major threat to the international order.

Such decision emerges when the world is going through a bloodcurdling economic crisis that has several nations unsettled. In this regard, misery, unemployment, and other social disasters are multiplied.

World observers highlight that such marked protectionism leads to limit multilateralism and affects international trade.

As soon as Trump announced the decision, the Wall Street Stock Exchange dropped and a response of the People’s Republic of China is awaited.

Thus, Washington creates a climate of insecurity, which affects some of the world’s markets.

That is, as the Spanish newspaper EL PAIS stated: “The unforeseen event or black swan that could jeopardize global growth this year. We fear it and it is happening.”

The newspaper also notes that the imposition of duties is an exercise of paranoia and a clear example of the ignorance of the elementary economic principles.

The effects of such procedure are materialized in the decline in growth, higher inflation, and unemployment.

These measures result in chaos and uncertainty in an already deteriorated international trade.

The abovementioned fact ratifies a U.S. policy that distances itself from the international economic cooperation and aims to damage the economy of million people all around the world.

The appointment of “Hawk” John Bolton as national security adviser confirms it. Bolton supports the U.S. withdrawal from the nuclear agreement with Iran and promotes a military confrontation with North Korea.

The early dismissal of Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State and Gary Cohn as main economic consultant in the White House corroborates the far-right trend and aggressive nationalism of the Trump Administration.

Europe will suffer the effects of such mess created by the multimillionaire in an already messy world.

There is one fact we cannot miss. There will be elections in the U.S. in November.

Therefore, most of voters, who have greatly suffer Trump’s insane notions, will have the ability to change their future.

Translated by Sergio A. Paneque Diaz // CubaSi Translation Staff

Cuba rejects expulsion of Russian diplomats from U.S., other nations

The Cuban government on Wednesday expressed concern about the expulsion of a "large group" of Russian diplomats by dozens of Western countries, saying it may "threaten international stability."

In a statement, the press and communication director of the Cuban Foreign Ministry, Alejandro Gonzalez, said these unilateral measures taken by Washington and other NATO member countries "are not responsive to dialogue, understanding and cooperation that should prevail in international relations."

"Cuba believes that cooperation should prevail over confrontation and rejects the application of unilateral measures that undermine international stability," Gonzalez said.

He added that these actions were even without waiting for the result of an impartial investigation into the attack of Russian ex-spy Sergei Skripal.

Former Russian double agent Sergei Skripal, aged 66, and his daughter Yulia were found unconscious on a bench outside a shopping center in Britain's southwestern city of Salisbury on March 4.

Britain claims they were exposed to a nerve agent and holds Russia responsible, while the Russian government has denied any involvement in it.

Following the incident, Britain expelled 23 Russian diplomats, with Moscow expelling an equal number of British diplomats in response.

Earlier this week, the United States announced the expulsion of 60 Russian diplomats and intelligence officials, as well as the closure of the consulate in Seattle, a northwestern city of the United States.

Meanwhile, Canada, Australia and up to 16 countries of the European Union have expelled Russian citizens and diplomats from their territories.

  • Published in Cuba

Washington Allocates Funds for Subversion in Cuba

The fund includes $20 million USD for subversion against Cuba and $600 million for border security with Mexico

The omnibus spending bill approved by the United States Congress last week, to fund the government until mid-2018, includes $20 million USD for subversion against Cuba and $600 million for border security with Mexico, which President Donald Trump plans to use to build a wall.

The amount of money allocated to promote regime change in Cuba, camouflaged under the euphemistic term “democracy programs,” contrasts with the massive cuts to the State Department and United States foreign aid to developing countries.

The funds for subversion were cut by Trump in the 2017 fiscal year, although the real amount dedicated to attacks on Cuba is much greater and comes from varied sources other than Congress.

The controversial Helms-Burton Act of 1996 established the obligation to grant money to these destabilizing programs against the island. Each administration since then has varied the exact figure, which ranges on average between 10 and 20 million dollars.

Mercenary groups, scholarships to promote false leadership among young Cubans and the dirty war on the Internet are financed with part of the money from Congress, which also benefits Florida-based groups that profit from the attacks on Cuba.

Another of the budget items approved in the midst of controversy was related to border security. Trump announced on Twitter this weekend that he had ordered the immediate construction of the controversial border wall with Mexico.

While the $600 million approved for border issues must cover other expenses, the President believes that he can use those funds to begin to fulfill his campaign promise.

However, experts note that $600 million dollars is a fraction of the total cost of the project envisaged by Trump, which could cost several billion dollars.

The U.S. President’s focus on the issue of the wall contrasts with the priority of many U.S. citizens. This weekend around 800,000 young people mobilized in several cities to demand a solution to the country’s gun problem, an issue that Trump has tried to dodge.

The so-called “March for Our Lives,” the largest youth demonstration in decades, filled Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, where surviving students of the Parkland massacre last month were among speakers.

Emma González, one of the surviving Stoneman Douglas School students, was moved to tears as she read the names of the victims. Her speech lasted six minutes and 20 seconds, the same time that the attack on her school lasted, according to Reuters.

Television networks showed the young protesters filling the streets of the United States in cities such as Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Minéapolis and New York.

The issue of gun control has forced many politicians up against the ropes, especially Senator for Florida, Marco Rubio, who maintains his support for the National Rifle Association, from which he receives millions of dollars, despite the massive support of his electorate for a change in legislation to make it more difficult to buy the guns with which such massacres are carried out.

  • Published in Cuba

Ahed Tamimi: Girl in Shackles

A piece of news from EFE agency notified this Thursday that the Palestinian heroine, 17 years old, Ahed Tamimi received an 8-month sentence at a penitentiary in the United States.

The young woman went to Court escorted by a guard from Penitentiary Institutions that brought her in handcuffs that kept her restrained.

On top of that she got a fine for 1,168 Euros because she slapped one of the Israelis soldiers that occupy by force the territory of her homeland.

Earlier in her life when she was only 12 years old she responded to the threat of a soldier of Tel Aviv in her town Nabi Saleh, Jordan.

The teenager served preventive prison since last December and the Military Office for Israel has promised her release next July.

Tamimi, attended the Court based in the Israeli prison of Ófer, Jordan occupied territory and, after hearing the final verdict, she affirmed: “there is no justice under the Israeli occupation".

The verdict also extends to her mother Narima, sentenced to other eight months and a fine of 1.400 Euros for appearing in the video next to her daughter.

The pretext of her arrest took place when she participated in a manifestation against the order passed by Donald Trump of imposing the city of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Do you so-called human-rights defenders know this history?

They almost made it to the pages in newspapers, news reels and digital media.

Have they said something on Ahed Tamimi case?

When they do they will begin to inspire an atom of respect.

Cubasi Translation Staff / Amilkal Labañino Valdés

Russian GM Dreev main attraction of upcoming Capablanca tournament

Russian Alexei Dreev will be the major attraction in the Elite Group of the Capablanca Memorial Chess Tournament to take place in Havana from May 8-20 next.

Dreev currently owns 2,653 ELO points and although he no longer appears among the best players of his country, his curriculum includes five Chess Olympics, attendances to world championships and victories in famous contests.

He will undoubtedly bring prestige to the six-player-round-robin event that will also feature famous players such as American Samuel Shankland (2,668) and Russian Alexander Rakhmanov (2,655).

Shankland finished second last year when the winner was Indian Krishnan Sasikiran, only one able of "stealing" a crown from Ukrainian Vassily Ivanchuk in all his attendances to this competition, but he won´t come this time.

Carlos Rivero, Cuba´s national commissioner, told JIT sports publication that the 2018 Capablanca Memorial Chess Tournament will also include an Open Group to be attended by about 150 players, mainly locals, and an U16 Poole.

  • Published in Sports

Head of CIA: Gina Haspel, Linked to Torture

The EFE Spanish news agency reported in Tuesday, President Donald Trump announced via Twitter that the CIA Headquarters will be occupied by a woman.

We are talking about Gina Haspel who up until now worked as deputy director of that espionage agency.

Haspel, 61 years old, ran in Thailand one of the first torture centers known as "black sites" that the United States opened to extract confessions through torture.

She also played an important role in this program, on the grey side of the law, after September 11 to imprison and interrogate alleged suspects of terrorism, under the Bush Administration.

Haspel, said the agency, oversaw herself at least two extreme interrogation sessions where tortures were used, what disclosed an investigation of the Senate.

The suspects were Abu Zubaydah and Abd al Rahim al Nashiri.

The first one was subjected 83 times to "waterboarding" according to documents revealed in the North American Congress.

Gina Haspel's name was also related to the destruction of nearly 100 videotapes of black site interrogations in 2005 that were filed in Thailand.

She was promoted in 2013 to head of a CIA clandestine unit, a position confirmed by the Senate.    

According to EFE, the president instead of rejecting these tortures, he back them up, therefore Haspel fits right in the picture of Trump’s CIA era.

It was also made public the outing of Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State, position that will occupy Mike Pompeo, current CIA director.

The White House spokeswoman, Sarah Sanders, sent an official statement of the leader where he stressed that under Tillerson’s time great things had been achieved in the last 14 months."

In this document Trump repeated his "trust" in Mike Pompeo and "he is the right man for the job at this fundamental moment and he shall continue our program of restoring the role of the United States in the world."

According to what Sanders said, Trump asked Tillerson to move aside.

But according to Assistant to the Secretary and Director of Public Affairs, Steve Goldstein, Tillerson didn't speak with Trump and he ignores the reason of his removal.

Goldstein affirmed "The Secretary of State intentions of staying due to the critical process made in matters of national security".

If what’s been written so far uncovered the conflicting panorama of the White House, the new succession of events, as a clear warning, corroborates it.

Cubasi Translation Staff / Amilkal Labañino Valdés

STATEMENT: Anti-Cuban provocation plot foiled on eve of elections

An attempt has been made to orchestrate a new act of anti-Cuban provocation from abroad, through the awarding of a “prize” with the aim of interfering in the internal affairs of Cuba, generating instability, affecting the country’s image and Cuba’s diplomatic relations with other States.

The operation was carried out with financing and support from counter-revolutionary groups based abroad and other international organizations such as the so-called Democratic Initiative of Spain and the Americas (IDEA); Pan American Democracy Foundation; the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation; and using a small, illegal anti-Cuban group as instrument.

As is customary in any reactionary initiative in our region, the involvement of the OAS Secretary General was not lacking.

It should also be remembered that a similar operation was attempted last year in which, as well as the aforementioned groups, the Democracy and Community Center; the Center for the Opening and Development of Latin America (CADAL); and Interamerican Institute for Democracy, run by terrorist and CIA agent Carlos Alberto Montaner, all of which have been actively working against Cuba and whose links with the U.S. National Endowment for Democracy (NED), which receives funding from the U.S. government to carry out subversive programs against Cuba, are well known.

These organizations have extensive credentials as agents of intervention and subversion against progressive governments of Our America, with the aim of destroying them, and toward which they have dedicated significant efforts and resources. Interestingly, they maintain complicit silence regarding the threats of the use of force and recent U.S. incitement of a military coup against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela; they fail to speak out against coups on the continent, to denounce poverty and hunger, or the racial and religious discrimination present in our region.

Nor can our peoples count on these organizations and their leaders to fight for greater social justice and equality, or to support the families of progressive and trade union leaders and journalists murdered for their political ideals, or to other victims of paramilitarism and organized crime.

This time they attempted to put on a show that would affect the normal development of general elections in Cuba. The actions combined a communications strategy, through the use of international media outlets and social media, with measures aimed at evading our country’s laws, and undermining the legitimacy of the just and legal action of our authorities.

Although they were well aware and warned that they would not be welcome in Cuba for such purposes, Andrés Pastrana Arango and Jorge Fernando Quiroga Ramírez, former presidents of Colombia and Bolivia, respectively, and Chilean Deputy representing the Independent Democratic Union (UDI), Jaime Bellolio Avaria, volunteered to participate in this act of provocation in Cuban territory, which is why, based on our laws and international norms, they were not permitted to enter our country.

Said action is part of the imperialist offensive against the peoples of Latin America and the Caribbean, in which the United States government has declared the relevance and validity of the “Monroe Doctrine,” and has provoked a setback in bilateral relations with Cuba.

The protagonists of this ploy are not at all interested in Cuba or the Cuban people, who they offend on attempting to violate the constitutional order that we have freely chosen. This is why they have had to resort to foreign resources and figures to achieve their goals.

Every time they do so, be it this or any other way, they will receive the firm response of the Cuban people, who remain united and loyal to the principles of the Revolution, as we will show this coming Sunday, March 11, when we vote en masse for the people’s candidates.

Havana, March 8, 2018

“Year 60 of the Revolution”

Kathy Castor urges Rex Tillerson to restore U.S. diplomats to Cuba

Fresh off a Cuban visit last week, U.S. Rep. Kathy Castor is calling on Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to return consular officials and diplomatic personnel to the U.S. Embassy in Havana as soon as possible.

Tillerson withdrew 60 percent of diplomats from the embassy in Havana last fall after unexplained attacks harmed at least 22 American government workers and family members. Investigators explored the possibility of a “sonic attack” injuring diplomats through sound waves; they discovered no device nor a culprit.

“While I appreciate your overriding concern with the health and safety of our diplomats following the unexplained health incidents, it is time to increase staffing and re-establish an American presence to serve our interests and our citizens,” the Tampa Democrat wrote in the letter to Tillerson sent Wednesday.

The State Department is scheduled to decide the status of the embassy by next week.

Shortly after Tillerson ordered the removal of U.S. diplomats from Cuba, the State Department then opted to suspend all visa processing in Havana, moving that function to Bogota, Columbia.

Castor, representing a district that is home to one of the largest Cuban-American populations in the country, said it’s “unreasonable and unaffordable” for Cubans who want to travel to Tampa or Miami to go to another country to do so.

The U.S. had provided 1,100 visas a month to Cuban immigrants last year before the diplomatic imbroglio; that number has since trickled down to just 350 per month.

In 2013, Castor became the first member of Congress from Florida to call for removing the Cuban economic embargo, a decision that can only happen via a congressional vote. She has consistently championed the liberalization of the relationship between the U.S. and Cuba since the early part of this decade.

But the diplomatic breakthrough started by President Barack Obama in late 2014 came to a screeching halt when Donald Trump was elected in 2016. Among the policy changes his administration rolled back from the Obama White House was travel.

Last summer, Trump announced that Americans would no longer be able to plan their own private trips to Cuba, and those who did had to go through authorized educational tours, subject to strict new rules and audits to ensure that they are not going just as tourists.

Castor calls that plan “overreaching.”

“This is counterproductive and complicates America’s ability to support everyday Cubans and promote the exchange of ideas,” The Tampa Democrat complains.

Castor visited Cuba earlier this month with fellow Democratic Reps. James McGovern from Massachusetts and Susan Davis from California, as well as Senators Patrick Leahy of Vermont, Gary Peters from Michigan and Ron Wyden from Oregon.

The entire delegation, except for Castor, chose to meet with Cuban President Raul Castro during the visit. Castro will step down in April.

  • Published in Cuba
Subscribe to this RSS feed