German Police Surround Mall in Dusseldorf, Berlin Attack Suspect Presumed Inside

The German police surrounded a Kaufhaus store after an eyewitness reportedly saw the Berlin attack suspect inside, local media reports. Shortly after it began, however, the operation was over, and the alleged suspect was not found.

Earlier in the day, a photo of alleged suspect in the Berlin market attack was published by the German newspaper Bild.

According to Bild, the police are searching for an Islamist from Tunisia. His name is Anis A., he is 21-23 years old and he has several passports.

After a witness reported he had seen the alleged terrorist, the store Kaufhaus in Dusseldorf was surrounded by the police.

On Monday, a truck rammed into the crowd at the Berlin Christmas market on the Breitscheidplatz square, killing at least 12 people and injuring 48 more. The country's interior ministry has labeled the incident a terrorist attack.

On Monday, a truck rammed into the crowd at the Berlin Christmas market, killing 12 people and injuring 48. Police have confirmed the ramming was intentional and detained the suspect, a Pakistani migrant, but he was later released over lack of evidence linking him to the attack.

The incident is being investigated as a terrorist attack. Local media revealed Monday that the German intelligence, even before the recent terrorist attack on a Christmas market in Berlin, classified the suspect as a person representing a potential threat to public safety because of ties to extremists.

According to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper, in 2012, the current suspect, Tunisian national Anis A., arrived in Italy, and in 2015 moved to Germany. His asylum application, filed in April, was approved.

The suspect reportedly had a total of eight forged passports, he was briefly detained with one of them in the southern German city of Friedrichshafen, the newspaper said, Anis kept in touch with a network of Islamists in Berlin, headed by Ahmad Abdulaziz Abdullah A, also known as Abu Walaa, who is suspected of recruiting people into Daesh terrorist group, and encouraging them to travel to Syria to join terrorist ranks.


  • Published in World

Argentina, Law against Bullying Passed in Buenos Aires

Parliamentarians from Buenos Aires passed today unanimously a law that seeks to eliminate and prevent bullying in schools.

In a special session, Buenos Aires´ parliamentarians agreed on this initiative that envisages a free telephone service to take care of this situation, amid other measures.

According to the law, bullying is all forms of abuse, physical, verbal or psychological, to which a student is subjected by one or many of the classmates.

Cyber abuse and any form of discrimination on the ground of gender, color of the skin, nationality, sexual preference are also forms of bullying, said the website El Parlamentario.

Bullying cases increased in Argentina by 33 percent this year, particularly online.

  • Published in World

32 Bodies, 9 Severed Heads Discovered in Mass Graves in Mexico

Officials said they will continue the search for more clandestine graves in the area.

Authorities in Mexico have exhumed 32 bodies and nine heads from at least 20 secret mass graves in the violence-ridden southern state of Guerrero.

RELATED: No Answers for Scores Who Vanished on Mexican Governor's Watch

The discovery was made in the town of of Zitlala, an area plagued by drug violence and cartels. Officials said they will continue the search for any additional hidden graves around the area.

The bodies and human remains were exhumed by experts from the attorney general of Guerrero and forensic personnel. They were already transferred to the state’s capital Chilpancingo "to initiate the necessary investigation," authorities said.

State security spokesman Roberto Alvarez told AFP the graves had been discovered following an anonymous tip, which led to the discovery of a kidnapping victim. He also said four heads were found "inside a cooler."

"It is worth mentioning that, of the 20 graves, only in 17 were human remains found, and so far none have been identified and there are no detainees who can be alleged to have been responsible," he added.

RELATED:​​ Mass Graves Continue to be Unearthed in Veracruz Mexico

Guerrero is probably the country's most violent state, riddled with deadly clashes between rival drug cartels and gangs.

Over the past decade, Mexican authorities have found countless human remains hidden in secret mass graves across the country. According to human rights organizations, the experts almost never manage to find the identity of those found.

A couple of months ago the government said a total of 27,659 people have disappeared since 2007, in addition to over 100,000 killed in connection to drug violence.

  • Published in World

Police capture man who held 15 hostage in Belgian supermarket

The armed attacker, who took people hostage in a supermarket in the Forest suburb of Brussels, has given himself up to the police, authorities have confirmed.

Eyewitnesses told local channel VRT that the hostage-taking unfolded at about 7 p.m. local time, in a Carrefour chain store, after what they claimed was a robbery attempt gone wrong. Those who managed to leave the supermarket said the suspect was armed with a knife, and forced shoppers to lie down on the floor.

The area was quickly sealed off, and a special team, supported by a helicopter, was sent to disarm the suspect.

Within minutes, the man, who appeared to have issued no demands, was apprehended.

While there has been no suggestion that the hostage-taking was a terrorist attack, police and residents in the Belgian capital have been on high alert over potential incidents in public places, following a deadly airport and train station bombing in the city in March this year.

At dawn on Tuesday, security forces raided 15 houses across the country, taking four men into custody, who now face charges of abetting radical Islamist organizations.

  • Published in World

Recalling Mexico's 'Night of Horror,' Two Years Later

Two years later, the disappearance of 43 student activists haunts Mexico. 

When the gunfire had stopped, when there were no more screams, when the dust had begun to settle and the Mexican night was still like death, only then did Angel Neri de la Cruz surface from his hiding place to do a quick head count of his boarding school classmates at Ayotzinapa Rural Teachers' College.

When he was done, the toll of this "night of horror" became immediately, and breathtakingly, clear. He shouted: “We Are Missing 43!”

OPINION: 'It Was the State': Unmasking the Official Ayotzinapa Narrative

What remains unanswered, after 43 students – mostly Indigenous – vanished on a highway outside the town of Iguala two years ago Monday is who, really, is responsible? But no one disputes that something unspeakable happened on Sept. 26, 2014, on a highway outside of the town of Iguala in southwest Mexico.

According to de la Cruz, it was twilight when a group of nearly 100 mostly Indigenous student activists traveling in three buses from the Ayotzinapa Normal School near Tixtla, Guerrero, stopped in the town of Iguala about 90 miles away from their campus. The plan was to "borrow" more buses, ironically enough, to attend the 46th anniversary of a student massacre in Mexico City.

With two more buses commandeered, the students left the bus station at about half past 9:00 p.m.

That's when the nightmare began. Before the night of horror was over, four of the five buses would be ambushed. The fifth bus was detained by police, but no shots were fired.

Mexico: Ayotzinapa Families Disappointed with Pope Francis

“We got the buses and we were very close to the main square of Iguala," de la Cruz told teleSur, and "then our comrades who were there in another bus called us to say that police began shooting at them, just in front of the cathedral. We decided to move on in a convoy of three buses. A few meters away at a road junction, police with large weapons surrounded us and started shooting.”

OPINION: Criminalizing the Victims: The Latest Anti-Ayotzinapa Strategy

The students – some as young as 15 – panicked. Dozens, including de la Cruz, scrambled for cover, cowering between two buses to protect themselves from bullets. It was at that point he remembered thinking, amid the fusillade of shots, how his classmates in the first bus had been manhandled by police.

“I saw how they were arrested and put into police vehicles," he said. "They were about 25 and I knew who they were. I mean, Ayotzinapa is so small and our college is a boarding school, so, of course, I knew them all. They were just as afraid as me. I never thought: 'I will not see them again.'”

Several students took off running, into the darkness.

Aldo Gutierrez was shot in the head, and he has been comatose ever since.

Edgar Vargas was shot in the mouth but survived thanks to his comrades who carried him through the drizzling rain.

"Edgar was bleeding so much. We were so worried for him. It was very dark and it was raining so much, most of the streets were dead-ends and we were trying to take Edgar to a hospital, but we were also in a panic because we didn’t want to be shot by police,” Angel says.

Angel and the other students finally found a shelter at the clinic named “Cristina.” They spent the night there, wondering if Edgar would survive and how they could round up bail for their classmates, who they assumed had been arrested and carted off to jail.

When de la Cruz and a handful of his classmates returned to the scene, they discovered the extent of what had transpired only hours before six students dead from gunfire, including one whose horribly mutilated body was missing its eyes.

And 43 were unaccounted for.

The Attorney General, Jesus Murillo Karam, would later say that the students traveled to Iguala to boycott an event of the mayor's wife. According to this version, Mayor Jose Luis Abarca ordered local police to stop them.

Authorities said the 43 Ayotzinapa students were arrested and handed over to the local drug gang ”Guerreros Unidos,” who murdered them and burned most of the corpses at a dump site in the neighboring town of Cocula. Others were apparently dismembered, their remains were thrown into a river.

RELATED: ​​'Climate of Impunity' Threatens Justice for Ayotzinapa Families

The problem was that independent investigations by two groups of international experts, the Argentine Forensic Anthropology Team and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, or IACHR, found no evidence to support this version of events. Both groups also denounced the Mexican government's refusal to collaborate with their investigations.

But after months of work, experts did manage to identify the DNA of student Alexander Mora in the remains of a plastic bag that authorities said they found in a river. However, investigators said the remains were delivered by soldiers and that they never actually saw the plastic bag.

President Enrique Peña Nieto has seldom addressed the issue in public, and there are growing calls that he be prosecuted at the Hague once he leaves office, for human rights abuses related to the massacre and coverup.

“I have not lost my hopes," de la Cruz said. "I’m sure that they are somewhere, maybe in a military prison or in a remote place. But I want to believe that they are still alive, I want also to believe this because I know how much their parents have suffered these two years.”

A massive protest led by the Ayotzinapa college students and the parents of the missing students is scheduled for Monday afternoon in Mexico City, in which they plan to unveil an “anti-monument” – a wrought-iron impression of the number 43.

“It is insulting the way that authorities have managed the case,” says de la Cruz. “(The abductors) said they were the narcos, so then they are the narcos because those who attacked us that night were all wearing uniforms.”

  • Published in World

Houston shooting suspect is dead - police

The suspect in a Houston, Texas spree shooting has been killed, police said. At least six people sustained injuries. The scene is now "contained," but residents have been asked to avoid the area.

The Houston Police Department has confirmed "an active shooter situation in a shopping center near the corner of Weslayan and Bissonnet in southwest Houston."

Police also tweeted the shooter was shot by law enforcement. There are no reports of other suspects at this time, but the scene is "still active."

Gunman down after active shooter situation in West University. Not 5 min from the house. Photo cred

A bomb squad will be checking the suspect's vehicle.

The attack is believed to have started at about 6:20 am local time. A witness told local ABC13 channel he heard about 100 “steady gunshots” being fired.

Six people were taken to hospital following the incident, representatives from the local fire department confirmed.

Media also report there may be others who suffered light injuries from broken glass or other factors.

Here's a look at one of the vehicles shot by active shooter - Weslayan at Bissonnet

The shooter was described as black and carrying a revolver. Police shot and killed him.

@KHOULauren BREAKING: HFD says suspect in active shooter investigation is dead.

"At this time, the shooting scene is believed to be contained, but residents are asked to please avoid the area of Weslayan Street between Westpark Drive and Bissonnet Street as it is still an active response and investigation scene," police said.

Victims were seen lying on the ground, with multiple gunshots initially reported from the scene.

Local attorney Skip Cornelius told ABC13 his son was shot by a bullet that made its way to his car, which was in the parking lot, but wasn’t hurt badly.

West U active shooter: Officers say suspect may be down - reports of several injured

Numerous ambulances arrived at the scene. Weslayan Street was briefly closed.

A triage area has been set up in a parking lot.

UPDATE: Gunshots heard near shopping center at Weslayan and Bissonnet.

The surrounding stores are usually busy at this time, according to local media.

  • Published in World

Curfew set on 3rd night of Charlotte protests against police killing of Keith Scott

Protesters marched through the streets of uptown Charlotte for the third night in a row Thursday, with local and state police, along with National Guard troops, staking out positions in anticipation of more violence. A curfew has been set for midnight.

Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts signed the midnight curfew order Thursday evening, with the City of Charlotte later tweeting, "The curfew will be in effect each day until the end of the State of Emergency is declared or until the official proclamation is revoked."

At midnight, despite the curfew, protesters remained jubilant, or angry, but peaceful. Some could be heard shouting "Hands up, don't shoot!" and "No justice, no peace!"

Read more 9 people injured, 44 arrested in Charlotte night riots - police chief

A man speaks to police in uptown Charlotte, NC during a protest of the police shooting of Keith Scott, in Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S. September 21, 2016 © Jason Miczek

Still, they prepared for the worst, distributing milk, water and bread, in case of riot police using tear gas or pepper spray, Cleve Wootson of the Washington Post tweeted.

Meanwhile, the Charlotte Metropolitan Police Department tweeted out that two of its officers were being treated by emergency medical teams "after they were sprayed w a chemical agent by demonstrators." 

It looks like protesters are handing out milk and water and bread in case there's tear gas.

Pushing the limit of the midnight curfew, a crowd remained at the Epicentre shopping mall with 15 minutes remaining.

As the curfew neared, with less than a half-hour remaining, the protests appeared to clear somewhat, while many made their way to the Charlotte Metropolitan Police Department headquarters. There, protesters held a "die-in."

With just 90 minutes remaining before the curfew was set to be enforced, when remaining protesters would face the risk of arrest, protesters made their way to Interstate-277 and Interstate-85.

Joe Bruno, reporter with WSOC, tweeted photos of protesters shutting down I-277. There, they met with riot police, who fired rubber bullets and tear gas. SWAT vehicles were also on the highway. This moment stood out as the most escalated of the evening, notably more peaceful than Wednesday night's demonstrations.

CMPD is refusing to release video of the fatal police shooting of Keith Scott, which occurred Monday. Family members have been allowed to view the footage, and they have come out demanding its public release.

Police claim the video shows Scott with a gun, while relatives say it is inconclusive. Mayor Roberts has said she would like to see police release the video, but also not until it no longer poses a risk to interfering with their investigation.

With Scott still the central figure in the demonstrators' cause, there was also a brief moment of silence among the crowd for Justin Carr, a protester who was shot Wednesday night and died earlier Thursday. It is a matter of dispute between police and witnesses as to what and how exactly Carr was shot.

READ MORE: Eyewitnesses scrutinize police account of Charlotte protester’s death (EXCLUSIVE) 

Chants varied throughout the night, from the familiar "No justice, no peace" to the new "Justice for Justin" and "We want the tapes."

Protests reached the CMPD headquarters as well as a nearby county jail, where inmates were cheered for flashing on and off lights in the facility.

Presence of National Guard might heighten unrest – Former NC State Senator

  • Published in World

Charlotte police chief says no curfew after violent protests

(Reuters) - The police chief of Charlotte, North Carolina, said on Thursday there will be no curfew immediately ordered in the city after two nights of violent protests triggered by the fatal shooting of a black man by police.

"We don't see a need to definitively shut the city down," Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Chief Putney told a news conference, responding to questions about whether authorities would put in place a curfew to try to tamp down the unrest.


  • Published in World
Subscribe to this RSS feed