Trump Threatens More Tariffs On Mexico Over Part Of Immigration Deal

Washington: President Donald Trump said on Monday the United States had signed another portion of an immigration and security deal with Mexico that would need to be ratified by Mexican lawmakers.

He did not provide details but threatened tariffs if Mexico's Congress did not approve the plan.

"We have fully signed and documented another very important part of the Immigration and Security deal with Mexico, one that the U.S. has been asking about getting for many years. It will be revealed in the not too distant future and will need a vote by Mexico's legislative body," Trump tweeted.

"We do not anticipate a problem with the vote but, if for any reason the approval is not forthcoming, tariffs will be reinstated."

Last month, Trump threatened 5% tariffs on Mexican goods. The duties would increase every month until they reached 25% in October, unless Mexico stopped illegal immigration across its border with Mexico.

On Friday, the tariffs were called off, after the United States and Mexico announced an agreement on immigration. The joint communique issued by the two countries provided few details.

Critics have said there have been no new major commitments to slow Central American migrants crossing into the United States.

A White House spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

  • Published in World

US ‘cannot expect to stay safe’ after launching economic war – Iranian FM Zarif

Amid rising tensions with Washington, Iran’s Foreign Minister Javad Zarif warned the US that their “economic war” will not end in their favor, as talks with Europe on a nuclear deal continue.

With Washington’s economic pressure on Iran mounting, the Islamic Republic’s outspoken foreign minister warned on Monday that the US “cannot expect to stay safe” as a consequence of their actions. Zarif also directly faulted President Trump in the matter:

Mr. Trump himself has announced that the US has launched an economic war against Iran. The only solution for reducing tensions in this region is stopping that economic war.

The current fallout between Washington and Tehran is largely a repercussion of Trump’s decision last year to unilaterally pull out of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA), commonly known as the Iran nuclear deal, which was signed by his predecessor Barack Obama in 2015, alongside China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and Germany.

Also on rt.com German FM Maas upbeat on Iran trade as Tehran ‘won’t talk’ missiles with other states...

Zarif’s comments came during a press conference with visiting German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, whose trip to Tehran to help ease tensions seemingly hasn’t resulted in much progress.

https://cdni.rt.com/files/2019.06/article/5cfe5456dda4c8597c8b4577.png

Germany is a critical player in the ongoing negotiations over the 2015 nuclear deal, and has, at least rhetorically, opposed the US’ decision to pull out of the agreement.

Monday’s discussion and press conference came just over a month ahead of Iran’s deadline for Europe to renegotiate the terms of the agreement.

  • Published in World

Tehran rejects Macron’s call for wider intl talks beyond nuclear deal – ministry

Iran rejected French calls for wider international talks over its nuclear and military ambitions, according to a state TV report.

President Emmanuel Macron had said the previous day that Paris and Washington both wanted to stop Tehran getting nuclear arms and new talks should focus on curbing its ballistic missiles program.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry said on Friday it would not hold any discussions beyond the 2015 pact which US President Donald Trump abandoned last year. “Talking about issues beyond the deal… will lead to further mistrust among the remaining signatories of the deal,” Reuters quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Abbas Mousavi as saying.

“The Europeans have so far failed to fulfill their commitments under the deal and… to protect Iran’s interests after America’s illegal withdrawal,” Mousavi added.

  • Published in World

US attempt to push Huawei from global market is the first sign of looming tech war - Putin

Russian President Vladimir Putin said US efforts to push Chinese tech giant Huawei out of the global market might be a sign that a new technological war is coming.

“Take the situation around the company Huawei, for example. There are attempts not even to challenge it, but to brazenly force it out of the global market,” Putin told the audience at the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum on Friday. “In some circles it is even called the first technological war of the coming digital era.”

Also on rt.com Russia ready to be cut off from internet with its own web...

Washington has long criticized Huawei and another Chinese tech company, ZTE, over alleged links to the Chinese government. In May, when the trade war between Washington and Beijing escalated, the Trump administration blacklisted Huawei, citing national security concerns.

Putin added that attempts to monopolize a new technological wave by some countries impede solving the global inequality problem and will lead to destabilization.

Despite Huawei's repeated denials of the accusations by Washington, leading global tech companies such as Google, Intel, and Qualcomm, started cutting their ties with the Chinese firm to comply with the US ban. Huawei has already filed a motion in a US court to overturn the ban on its products, saying that it was targeted in “violation of due process.”

Also on rt.com Trump threatens to expand tariffs on China by another $300 billion...

Washington's crusade against the Chinese firm comes as the world's two biggest economies are embroiled in a simmering trade row, which has resulted in tit-for-tat tariffs on billions worth of imports. The latest escalation saw the US raising tariffs to 25 percent on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods, and China hitting back with up to 25 percent tariffs on 5,000 US products worth $60 billion.

  • Published in World

Trump threatens to expand tariffs on China by another $300 billion

US President Donald Trump has warned Beijing that he may hit Chinese goods with another $300 billion in tariffs if necessary, but added that he still hopes for a deal. The levies would target China's remaining exports to the US.

"Our talks with China, a lot of interesting things are happening. We'll see what happens... I could go up another at least $300 billion and I'll do that at the right time," Trump told reporters on Thursday, as cited by Reuters. The president did not elaborate on what goods could be targeted by the hikes.

However, Trump says he thinks that China and another country embroiled in a trade row with Washington, Mexico, wants to make a deal. Earlier, Trump threatened to impose a five-percent duty on all Mexican goods starting next week.

"I think China wants to make a deal and I think Mexico wants to make a deal badly," he said before boarding Air Force One on his way to France for D-Day commemorations.

Also on rt.com Chinese businesses consider moving production to Russia as trade war with US escalates...

The simmering trade war between the world’s two biggest economies has already seen an exchange of several rounds of mutual tariff hikes. Almost one year ago, in July 2018, Trump started the row by slapping Beijing with 25-percent tariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese technology goods, drawing a similar response from China.

Later that year, the White House imposed 10-percent tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports varying from chemicals to consumer goods, in a bid to pressure Beijing into making trade concessions. China struck back, adding $60 billion of American products to its import tariff list.

Also on rt.com China could use rare earth metals embargo to land killer blow on US defense industry...

The US had initially threated to further raise tariffs to 25 percent, but put the action on pause while the two countries were holding lengthy trade talks. However, the attempt to reach a deal to avert further escalation failed in May this year. The Trump administration increased the tariff rate on Chinese goods to 25 percent, and further threatened to impose the same hikes on the rest of the country’s imports into the US.

It did not take Beijing long to hit back. On June 1, China hiked tariffs to 25 percent on 5,000 US products worth $60 billion. Beijing also threatened to use its advantage in rare earth metals production as leverage in the trade war, with government media saying that China may ban their export. The materials are vital for various industries, especially in the military and high tech.

  • Published in World

Nightmare in U.S.: Forbidden to Get Sick

As long as we breathe, everything is possible. If Bernie Sanders gets to the Oval Office one day, he will certainly do everything in his power to give Americans free education and healthcare. It is, for sure, something inconceivable for the U.S. establishment and makes the Democrat presidential candidate a real “communist threat.”

Trying to improve the quality of life of people makes the Empire’s media to distort Sanders’ ideas by filling with fear a progressive Social Democrat who still has options against some of the other candidates within his political party, not as “socialist” as he is. However, he has few options against favorite Republican Donald Trump —a disgrace for mankind.

In the specific case of health care, and before 40 U.S. states that have asked to lower drug prices, Trump promised he could solve the problem for the summer. But he has solved nothing. Besides, there are some pharmaceutical companies that generously contribute to his electoral campaigns.

Hence, much have been said about this subject. It is impossible for low-income people to receive medical treatment, not to mention to be hospitalized.

A friend of mine who lives in Georgia told me —she was admitted in hospital to have a gallbladder surgery— she got into debt in 19,000 plus USD. As she earns very little, she will take long in paying her debt back. Therefore, she has been forbidden to leave the State, not to mention visiting her relatives in Cuba.

Perhaps you remember that accident in the Boston subway where a woman —after her leg got trapped— instead of asking for help, she yelled: “do not call the ambulance,” “It’s 3,000 USD and I can’t afford it.”

Guido Maquiavelo, specialist in preoperative optimization with more than ten-year experience in a public hospital in Bronx, New York, confirmed that the costs of a trip to the hospital would range from 1,500-5,000 USD, but the medical staff, by law, must treat every patient and do whatever it takes.

But Maquiavelo did not tell why there are patients who die in hospitals without medical care because they do not have health care insurance or expired, and nothing happens.

The problem emerges when it comes the time to see the bill of the visit. The number are usually huge. Few can afford the costs. That is why Medicaid and Medicare were founded in 1965 to help senior citizens and economically disadvantaged people.

It is a well-known secret that pharmaceutical companies pay entities within the health care system to favor their most expensive medications instead of alternative medications at lower prices.

That being said, Robin Feldman, professor of Law at the University of California Hastings and author of the book Drogas, dinero y acuerdos secretos: el imparable crecimiento de los precios de los medicamentos recetados, states that those who must care for patients are happy to follow the companies path.

To put an end to such lucrative system, a series of changes will be needed. To do so, a more moderate capitalist system is required. There must be total transparency (competence may blossom) and reduce some of the rights given by the government to strengthen the power of pharmaceutical companies…

Facing all of these, Sanders is to become the champion of the human rights to health care and education in the U.S.

Translated by Sergio A. Paneque Díaz/CubaSi Translation Staff

Republican, Democratic senators seek to block Trump Saudi arms sales

Backers said the introduction of the resolutions was intended to “protect and reaffirm Congress’ role of approving arms sales to foreign governments.”

The announcement followed furious rejection in Congress late last month of the Trump administration’s declaration that a growing threat from Iran was an emergency that forced it to sidestep lawmakers’ review of major arms deals and approve precision-guided munitions, aircraft engines, mortars and other equipment and services for Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Jordan.

“We are taking this step today to show that we will not stand idly by and allow the President or the Secretary of State to further erode Congressional review and oversight of arm sales,” Senator Bob Menendez, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said.

The effort was led by Menendez, and Republican Lindsey Graham, a close Trump ally who is also a critic of Saudi Arabia’s human rights record.

Members of Congress had been blocking sales of offensive military equipment to Saudi Arabia and the UAE for months, angry about the huge civilian toll from their air campaign in Yemen, as well as rights abuses such as the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at a Saudi consulate in Turkey.

“While I understand that Saudi Arabia is a strategic ally, the behavior of (Saudi Crown Prince) Mohammed bin Salman cannot be ignored. Now is not the time to do business as usual with Saudi Arabia,” Graham said in a statement.

Graham said he expected “strong bipartisan support” for the resolutions.

Many lawmakers say that the powerful crown prince is ultimately responsible for Khashoggi’s murder and other rights abuses. The government in Riyadh denies that.

Two other Republican senators - Rand Paul and Todd Young - and three Democrats - Chris Murphy, Patrick Leahy and Jack Reed - also joined the announcement.

‘EMERGENCY’

Declaring the emergency, the Trump administration informed congressional committees on May 24 that it was going ahead with 22 military deals worth $8.1 billion, circumventing a long-standing precedent for lawmakers to review major weapons sales.

The decision angered members of both parties, who worried that Trump’s decision to blow through the “holds” process would eliminate Congress’ ability to prevent not just Trump but future presidents from selling weapons where they liked.

Announcing their plan to introduce the 22 resolutions, the senators said Trump’s “unprecedented” action is at odds with longstanding practice and cooperation between Congress and the executive branch.

Reuters reported on Tuesday that lawmakers were working on responses to the administration’s action and could file legislation within days. A separate set of legislative responses is being considered in the House of Representatives. [L2N23B1W6]

The Arms Export Control Act gives Congress the right to stop major weapons sales by passing a resolution of disapproval in both the Senate and House.

Opponents of the weapons sales said strong bipartisan support for such resolutions would send a forceful message to the administration - as well as defense contractors and the three countries - that Congress was unhappy about the process and could retaliate.

They also said it was possible, given the level of congressional anger over Trump’s use of the emergency declaration, that some of the resolutions would garner the two-thirds majorities in the Senate and House needed to override a Trump veto if necessary.

(The story corrects third country to Jordan from Lebanon in third paragraph.)

  • Published in World

US Disregards Negative Impact of New Measures on Cuban People

The U.S. administration has tried this Tuesday to justify the new travel restrictions to Cuba with the argument that they are measures against the government, despite the warnings of their negative effects on the people.

Republican President Donald Trump, who has considerably increased hostility against Cuba, announced Tuesday that he will prohibit citizens of this country from going to Cuba under prior authorization known as people-to-people educational group trips.

In addition, according to a statement from the State Department, 'will no longer allow visits to Cuba through passenger and recreational boats, including cruise ships and yachts, and private and corporate aircraft.

With these controversial steps, the federal agency said it seeks to prevent U.S. travelers from 'enriching Cuba's military, security and intelligence services.

In its statement, the State Department once again linked the measures against Cuba with the solidarity it maintains towards Venezuela and the constitutional government of Nicolas Maduro, which Washington insists on disregarding despite having been re-elected in May 2018 with 68 percent of the vote.

Trump's administration will continue a failed 60-year policy that harms the Cuban people and denies Americans their freedom,' Engage Cuba coalition President James Williams wrote on Twitter after the new limitations spread.

When National Security Advisor John Bolton announced on April 17 that new restrictions would apply to non-family travel, different groups and legislators also referred to the impact on Cubans.

The announcement of the administration of new hard-line restrictions causes pain to families and affects the growing Cuban private sector, said then Florida Democratic Congresswoman Kathy Castor.

  • Published in Cuba
Subscribe to this RSS feed