Venezuela’s Maduro proposes early elections for opposition-held National Assembly

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has proposed holding early elections to restock the National Assembly, currently headed by opposition leader and self-declared interim president Juan Guaido backed by US.

Maduro made this call in a speech in Caracas on Monday. He also talked about an early election in February of this year. If elections are not held before then, Venezuelans will vote on the makeup of the National Assembly next year.

Also on rt.com US ‘siege’ of Venezuela disturbs global crude supply – oil minister...

In 2017 the body saw its powers somewhat limited after the establishment of the Constituent Assembly, entirely staffed with Maduro loyalists, in 2017. The two legislatures have functioned in parallel since.

Maduro’s announcement comes on the anniversary of his reelection to the Latin American country’s presidency last year. Guaido, along with the United States, has called the election “illegitimate.”

If defeated at the ballot box, Guaido would lose his claim to legitimate power. Despite Washington’s backing, Guaido’s efforts to mobilize popular anger and oust Maduro have thus far failed, and the Venezuelan president still commands the support of the country’s military and remains safely in power.

Also on rt.com Guaido asks US military for meeting to plan ‘restoring democracy’ in Venezuela...

Venezuela remains economically blockaded by the United States, following several rounds of harsh sanctions. Sanctions targeting the country’s oil industry have exacerbated the country’s economic crisis, and have dealt “serious economic damage and suffering” to the Venezuelan people, the country’s oil minister said on Sunday.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

  • Published in World

Maduro: US Suspension of Venezuela´s Flights Is Part of Coup

The suspension of commercial and private flights between the United States and Venezuela is part of the agenda to promote a coup, President Nicolas Maduro said.

The announcement is an illegal decision against free air circulation, they are prohibiting flying to the northern nation from any airport in the world, the president noted, after Washington said that private planes with the YV license, which identifies Venezuela, and US airplanes (NOV) are banned from traveling between the two countries.

This new measure is part of the imperial blockade against all Venezuelans, without distinction of ideology or social condition, Maduro said on Wednesday at Miraflores Palace, the venue of the Government.

He described the decision as a consequence of hatred and revenge from the US Government, after the failed coup d'état on April 30.

Donald Trump is warned about the consequences and the damage that he is doing to bilateral relations, especially he is aware of the lack of results in his policy for destabilization and regime change, coup and interventionism that has been counterproductive so far, he underlined. (PL)

  • Published in World

The Repeated U.S. Failure and the Option of Invasion to Venezuela

Desperate due to the chain of continuous failures in the coup attempt against the Bolivarian Revolution, the puppeteers pulling the strings of the marionette, Juan Guaidó, have now ordered him to resume, as a political weapon, the threat of a military invasion to Venezuela.

The other next option on the table seems to be – said Guaidó last Saturday in another of his "liberal" manifestations, where only a few hundred followers attended -, to contact "the South Command of the United States in order to establish a direct and wide relationship regarding cooperation."

Spokesman of Bolton and Marcos Rubios, where he should have said invasion, Guaidó used the euphemism "cooperation" because, according to him, besides the fake excuse of the already existent invasion of Cuban soldiers, all of the sudden, in the White House have discovered that in Venezuela there is a presence of the Army of National Liberation of Colombia (ELN for its Spanish acronym).

Attached to the new script of lies, Guaidó accused Maduro of facilitating "tools and intelligence resources" to the ELN this would make "the régime a sponsor of terrorism."

Guaidó’s new revelations were made a day after the other marionette from Washington, the Colombian president Iván Duque, affirmed that his country is "in high alert to avoid the ELN guerrilla to continue receiving weapons, ammunition and economic support from the president of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro", and that the acting Secretary of Defense of the United States, Patrick Shanahan, assured that last week the Pentagon had analyzed a wide range of military options.

But not everything is threats. Last Thursday, through an official statement, the National Bolivarian Armed Forces (NBAF) denounced the installation of a false positive in the frontier on the Colombian side whose Ministry of Foreign Affairs invented a supposed incursion of the Venezuelan army in his territory; and this same Saturday, the Minister of Defense, Vladimir Padrino warned that a United States Coast guard craft had carried out patrolling rounds in Venezuelan waters, an action that he added “won't be accepted.”

“We are not asking, it’s not a favor, we demand U.S. military authorities to respect the jurisdictional waters and sovereignty of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela”, said the minister according to a Reuters news.

The puppeteers of the torn marionette should swallow their imperial pride and force their imagination in search of new options to put on the table. The option of the provocations could unleash, in the event of a war of the United States and its allies in Venezuela, a regional catastrophe without precedents.

Setting aside the loyal Armed Forces, the homeland of Bolívar holds a weapon that no army or coalition, no matter how powerful it is, can defeat: the desires of an entire people to defend the achievements, their independence and sovereignty. Everything the swindler Guaidó has lacked since his proclamation last January 23rd until today.

Maduro instructs military to prepare to repel US attack on Venezuela

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has blamed the US for being behind the attempted coup that failed, and has urged his country’s military to be ready to defend against a military intervention by the Americans.

Venezuelan troops should “be ready to defend the country with weapons in hand if one day the North American empire dares to touch this land, this sacred ground,” Maduro said, addressing thousands of young cadets at a training range in the state of Cojedes.

“We are not a weak or helpless country. We are a country with a powerful Bolivarian National Armed Force that should be more united and loyal than ever.”

© AFP / Venezuelan Presidency

But for now, the US is “waging a non-traditional war” against Venezuela as they “want to rule the whole of [the Americas],” the president said.

Washington is trying to put into effect “a conspiracy with a lot of money, in order to destroy and divide our armed forces from the inside, with the help of a group of traitors,” he added, referring to the failed coup attempt on Tuesday. “They stole machineguns and rifles in order to aim them at their own military and people.”

© AFP / Venezuelan Presidency

There were clashes in the Venezuelan capital Caracas mid-week as self-proclaimed interim president Juan Guaido and his supporters attempted to take control of the country, with the help of some military members.

The coup attempt failed within hours as the armed forces overwhelmingly backed elected president Maduro and the public didn’t seem willing to support the opposition’s cause.

There were clashes in the Venezuelan capital Caracas mid-week as self-proclaimed interim president Juan Guaido and his supporters attempted to take control of the country, with the help of some military members.

The coup attempt failed within hours as the armed forces overwhelmingly backed elected president Maduro and the public didn’t seem willing to support the opposition’s cause.

Since the outbreak of the crisis in January, Washington has outright backed Guaido’s claim to power. It introduced harsh economic sanctions and even threatened a so-called “humanitarian intervention” to remove the socialist government from power in oil-rich Venezuela.

Also on rt.com Putin to Trump: Foreign meddling undermines chances of political settlement in Venezuela...

  • Published in World

Maduro: US Seeks to Reedit 2002 Coup d'état in Venezuela

Caracas, Apr 11 (Prensa Latina) Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro noted that the Government of the United States, with its actions, is seeking to reedit the coup d'état perpetrated against Commander Hugo Chavez in 2002.

'As 17 years ago, the Venezuela people defeated the coup attack on Chavez, we will continue the battle against Washington's permanent intentions to establish a regime change in the Bolivarian nation. The Constitution and the people rule here,' the president said on national radio and television on Wednesday.

At the Miraflores Palace (the venue of the Executive), Maduro charged that US authorities do not stop the constant charge against national institutionality, proved by the sabotages on the National Power System (SEN).

In that regard, the head of State noted that destabilizing the population with the lack of electricity and drinking water is the main objective of the right wing to create domestic chaos and justify a military intervention.

He stressed that the government of President Donald Trump insists on imposing puppets in Venezuela; however, he recalled that, according to the Constitution of the Republic, it is the citizens that elect their president, an action developed on May 20, 2018, when Maduro was ratified for the 2019-2025 term by 68 percent of voters.

Maduro said that on Thursday, the revolutionary force will commemorate the popular mobilizations held from April 11 to 13, 2002, as a result of the coup d'état against Chavez, as part of an imperialist effort to overthrowing the emerging Bolivarian Revolution.

  • Published in World

Maradona Fined After Dedicating Win to Nicolas Maduro

During a press conference on March 31, Diego Maradona dedicated his victory to Nicolas Maduro and to all of Venezuela that is suffering because of the "sheriffs of the world".

Football star Diego Maradona came out in support of Venezuela and criticized Donald Trump in a message before he answered questions from Mexican journalists during a press conference at the Tamaulipas stadium.

RELATED: Maradona: AMLO's Victory Makes Latin America Very Happy

"I want to dedicate this triumph to Nicolas Maduro and to all Venezuelans who are suffering." "The sheriffs of the world — who are those Yankees? Just because they have the biggest bombs in the world they think they are so much more advanced than us. No, they are not," Maradona declared at a press conference after a soccer match in Mexico that the Dorados de Sinaloa, the team Maradona is the technical director of since September 2018, won 3-2 over the Tampico Madero Sunday night.

"We don’t buy that 'chirolita' they have as president," added Maradona referring to an Argentine ventriloquist puppet famous in the 1970s that resembles United States President Donald Trump and was famous for its rogue, childish personality.

In response, the Mexican Football Federation (FMF) said in a statement on Monday that Maradona was going to be fined because he had violated articles 7 and 11 of its ethics code.

Article 7 urges members of Mexico's football federation to stay neutral on political and religious matters and Article 11 warns them against behavior that might be detrimental to the sport and fair play.

Since January the U.S. and its allies have tried unsuccessfully to replace President Maduro with the so-called 'interim president' Juan Guiado. 

President Donald Trump began his soft coup attempt against President Nicolas Maduro after taking office in 2017, implementing a growing list of economic sanctions on Venezuela and its people that have cost the government billions. 

In August 2017, Maradona brought his support to Venezuela and said he was ready to get "dressed a soldier" and fight "against imperialism."

  • Published in Sports

Maduro: Urges Mexico, Uruguay to Renew Dialogue in Montevideo

President Nicolas Maduro tells crowds at anti-imperialist march in Caracas: 'Venezuela asks for support, accompaniment toward a great dialogue of peace, understanding'. 

President Nicolas Maduro is asking the leaders of Mexico, Uruguay, and member states of Caricom to renew their efforts to facilitate dialogue between the Venezuelan government and the opposition.

RELATED: Venezuela Leaves OAS April 27, Trump 'Runs Over' Member States

During the latest anti-imperialist march held in the capital streets of Caracas Saturday, Maduro told the crowds: "Venezuela asks for support and accompaniment toward a great dialogue of peace, of understanding," said the Venezuelan president.

Maduro and his United Socialist Party of Venezuela have repeatedly taken part in facilitated dialogues with national opponents. The internationally-mediated ‘Dominican Republic’ talks that began in 2014 between Maduro’s ruling party and the opposition broke down in February 2018 when lead opposition party, Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD), refused to sign the deal they had negotiated.

"Let's put all the cards on the table. Stop the terrorist attacks and the ambushes, and with the help of Mexico, Bolivia, Uruguay and the Caribbean (nations), Venezuela can create dialogue roundtables with all sectors sooner rather than later," Maduro told the thousands of supporters gathered in Caracas.

In late January Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador (AMLO) and Uruguay head of state Tabare Vazquez proposed to facilitate talks between Maduro’s administration and the self-proclaimed interim president of Venezuela, Juan Guaido, in Montevideo, Uruguay. Guido said from the beginning he wouldn’t take part in such dialogues with president. Since that time the country has suffered a series of cyber attacks that have caused major electrical outages throughout the nation, likely at the hands of the United States administration that supports a Guido takeover of the Venezuelan government.

An International Contact Group (GCI) comprising Bolivia, Ecuador, Costa Rica and several European nations, was formed in early February to mediate the talks. The process broke down when these facilitators began to demand new elections in Venezuela before the dialogues began even when Maduro democratically won the presidential vote last May by over 60 percent of electoral support.

 
  • Published in World

Mass Popular Mobilization in Venezuela on April 6

The speaker of the National Constituent Assembly (ANC) of Venezuela, Diosdado Cabello, called on Thursday to a mass popular mobilization in this capital on April 6 to defend the Bolivarian Revolution.

On his regular program Con el Mazo Dando, broadcast by Venezolana de Television, Cabello assured that the revolutionary forces will fill Caracas 'from end to end' in light of the opposition's desperation.

He ruled out the call by the opposition lawmaker Juan Guaido, who proclaimed himself Venezuela's president in charge, a maneuver scheduled for the same day as part of the so-called Operation Freedom, aimed at destabilizing the country.

On several occasions, Guaido has called on his supporters in the opposition to organize in the next few days for an alleged peaceful occupation of the Miraflores Palace (the Government's venue) and the activation of large-scale local protests.

In that regard, Cabello, who is also the first vice president of the United Socialist Party of Venezuela (PSUV), pointed out that the failure of those calls to mobilization by the speaker of the National Assembly (parliament) in contempt shows Guaido's lack of leadership.

Cabello also revealed the satisfaction by some right-wing spokespersons when they learned that Guaido had been disqualified to hold public posts and that he had been stripped of his parliamentary immunity due to several crimes that he has committed flagrantly.

In that regard, the socialist leader pointed out that the decision made on Tuesday by the Constituent National Assembly, which authorized the judicial power to indict the 'self-proclaimed' president, was adopted in accordance with the Constitution of Venezuela and the legislation in force.

  • Published in World
Subscribe to this RSS feed