Suspect dead, 20 injured in New Jersey arts festival shooting

Twenty people have been injured, some critically, in a shooting at an arts festival in Trenton, New Jersey on Sunday. One person, suspected to be behind the shooting, has been killed according to local officials.

A second suspect is in police custody, according to Mercer County Prosecutor’s office. Fifteen of those injured suffered gunshot wounds and a 13 year-old boy is among the casualties.

Local authorities say that several people opened fire inside the venue and multiple weapons were recovered in the scene. The casualties were confirmed by the Mercer County Prosecutor’s office.

Police received reports that a man had opened fire inside Roebling Market, where the all-night event took place, shortly before 3 am.

"It's a massive crime scene," Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo J. Onofri said at a news conference.

Trenton Mayor Eric Jackson described the incident as “truly a tragedy,” and expressed his sympathies to the victims and their families.

One eyewitness told WPVI that he saw a person with gunshot wounds. “I saw two police officers escort a guy that got shot in the leg,” he said. “They bandaged him up and whisked him away before the ambulance came here."

The 24-hour arts festival, which included artwork submitted by local children, and an anti-gun violence project, has since been cancelled.

@aantrenton It’s with great regret that we announce that the remainder of Art All Night has been cancelled due to a tragic incident that occurred overnight. We’re still processing much of this and we don’t have many answers at... https://www.facebook.com/aantrenton/posts/

@kpgoing4change “Imagine a world free of gun violence. What do you see?” Making art and talking about Moms Demand Action at Art All Night - Trenton. 24 hour event tabling! @momsdemand @aantrenton

@cosmic_hiccup Replying to @TheScottCharles  This is what our community art project looked like when my daughter and I left at 11:30.

  • Published in World

USA: Concrete Jungle

Should there was any doubt, it has already vanished. United States has become an elegant jungle swarmed with millionaires, the bruised middle class and homeless people, among others.

In this regard. El Nuevo Herald columnist Guillermo Descalzi wrote on Monday that his government is characterized by its lavish indifference and fears an unbridled extreme right.

The latter includes, firstly, President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

The journalist added that politicians bow their heads before the National Rifle Association (NRA) “that has planted USD $23 billion for them since 1990 to provide its interests with shade”.

Institution has flatly refused to eliminate the Second Amendment to the 1791 Constitution that blesses guns purchase and possession.

Since 2013, there have been 291 school shootings and 18 so far this year.

Journalist and writer Guillermo Descalzi stresses that it is time to acknowledge that there are mental health patients who curiously go unnoticed, as well as that it is Hemingway’s time and to say farewell to arms.

He also pointed out that “action must be channeled in this Hemingwayesque country”.

It’s good to remember that during the 2016 elections Trump proclaimed himself a friend of the National Rifle Association, and assured he would protect its interests, as he has done so far.

That organization is one of the lobbies that manage real power in U.S., as it happens with the Jewish one and others.

One may ask: Who is to blame for the recent brutal killing of 17 teenagers in Florida?

The same individual who has defended to the death free sale of rifles and other weapons in US stores.

As well as those who, led by Donald Trump, have become champions of the sale and use of guns and powerful rifles in that country.

So, Nikolas Cruz is not the one who should be taken to the dock, but Donald Trump, firstly, and NRA’s executives, secondly.

 

Translated by Jorge Mesa Benjamin / Cubasi Translation Staff

  • Published in Specials

U.S.A.: A Paradise for Violent Crime

According to the Associated Press (AP) violent crimes in the United States grew over the two years in a row.

What period of time did that North American news agency write? The time comprising between 2015 and 2016.

The fact was broadly commented this Monday for its journalist Sadie Gurman.

Revising FBI statistics, she remarked that it grew mainly in the most important cities.

Gurman noticed that Donald Trump used the numbers as evidence that the country is amid a dangerous wave of crimes.

Therefore? The need of making arrests and other sanctions "against drug crimes."

AP remembers that last year there was a blast of shootings and robberies, up to 4,1% more than in 2015.

While homicides of varied nature reached 8,6% in that same time.

The source aforementioned turned to last year statistics to highlight that violence jumped to 3.9%, and murders to more than 10.

"This is a concerning tendency that threatens to thwart the advances that made safer our neighborhoods and communities", said the secretary of Justice, Jeff Sessions.

He also sentenced: the years of crime reduction have been replaced by increases.

The website Público.es recently informed in Madrid that two years ago nearly 1134 people were killed in the U.S., mostly black people.

An investigation of the British newspaper 'The Guardian' revealed that the youths of that community have nine times more probabilities of getting killed at the hands of the Police than at the hands of anyone else.

Scary no doubt, the United States has become, by its own right, a paradise for violent crimes.

Amilkal Labañino Valdés / Cubasi Translation Staff

  • Published in Specials

Venezuelan Foreign Minister Denounces CIA Interference

CIA Director Mike Pompeo revealed the U.S. advises Mexico and Colombia on how to manipulate the outcome in Venezuela.

Venezuela’s foreign minister condemned CIA schemes to overthrow the government of President Nicolas Maduro, denouncing the CIA’s dealings with foreign governments such as Mexico and Colombia to manipulate events in Venezuela.

RELATED: Ambassador to Mexico Says Venezuela Needs No 'Tutelage'

Samuel Moncada took to Twitter, posting notes from a question posed by Vanessa Neumann, president of Asymmetrica — a business intelligence firm — to CIA Director Mike Pompeo during an extended briefing, where Pompeo said, "We are very hopeful that there can be a transition in Venezuela and we the CIA is doing its best to understand the dynamic there."

"The head of the CIA says he works with Colombia and Mexico to overthrow the democratic government of Venezuela."

Pompeo added, “America has a deep interest in making sure that (Venezuela) is stable, as democratic as possible ... The Colombians, I was just down in Mexico City and in Bogota a week before last talking about this very issue trying to help them understand the things they might do so that they can get a better outcome for their part of the world and our part of the world.”

Following a U.N. meeting with the chief of staff of the U.N. Secretary General in New York City, Moncada said he alerted the official of U.S. maneuvers to destroy democracy in Venezuela.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFgJHVMXYAEV1Vi.jpg:large

A la Jefa de gabinete del SG-ONU, explicamos las violaciones al derecho internacional por parte de EEUU contra el pueblo venezolano.

"We explain the violations of international law by the United States against the Venezuelan people to the Chief of Staff of the SG-UN."

Moncada called the pending threats from President Donald Trump to take “take strong and swift economic actions” in the event that the National Constituent Assembly election vote takes place on July 30 as “anti-democratic, unhumanitarian, and imperialistic."

Moncada also accused U.S. intelligence of organizing violent demonstrations and spurring on the opposition.

The diplomat commented that Venezuela hopes to work with the United Nations under the foundation of respect and cooperation to counter the matrix that has been built against Venezuela.

Vice President of Parlasur Daniel Caggiani also emphasized Monday the importance of not intervening in the "internal situation" in the country. "Venezuela is of concern to us, but I think it is not good for the bloc itself to comment on the internal situation in the South American country," he said to Radio Uruguay.

Caggiani highlighted the role Uruguay played as mediator at the last Mercosur summit Friday, refusing to sign a statement condemning Venezuela.

  • Published in World

So How Many Did Vote in Venezuela's Opposition Plebiscite?

A teleSUR investigation shows how one person could vote three times.

There's no doubt there was a significant turnout for the Venezuelan opposition's informal plebiscite Sunday, which the electoral authorities classified as a political gesture with no constitutional status.

RELATED: Accused of Inciting Violence, Ex-Mexican President Fox Not Welcomed in Venezuela

The opposition said 7,186,170 people voted to reject the Venezuelan government's plan to elect a new Constituent Assembly — that includes 6,492,381 inside Venezuela and 693,789 at voting stations set up for Venezuelans in other countries.

But even if these numbers are accurate — which can't be verified — an estimated 7.2 million votes out of an eligible voting population of just under 20 million is no mandate and even falls short of the 7.7 million the opposition garnered in the 2015 national assembly elections.

But since this was an informal vote, with no register of eligible electors and only a rudimentary record of who voted and where these numbers are almost impossible to verify. At the end of the day, at least some of the opposition voting centers burned their ballot boxes, making any subsequent investigation equally impossible.

However, teleSUR journalists were able to carry out a simple test that suggested the real number of voters was probably less.

They accompanied a citizen who was registered to vote in the Valles del Tuy — a poor suburb on the outskirts of the capital — to the upscale opposition stronghold of eastern Caracas and recorded how he was able to vote multiple times with no problem.

First, they went to a voting station next to the Unicentro El Marques shopping mall. Here are the pictures of him voting.

The organizers asked to see his identity card but did not check it against any list of eligible voters in that district. They just noted his name on a list, along with his ID number, his signature and their own stamp. Then they gave him a voting slip and invited him to fill it in, in front of them, and then put it in the ballot box. Not exactly a secret ballot. And the voting slip had no unique identification to ensure it couldn't be duplicated. After he'd finished, they gave him a receipt to show he had voted.

Then the teleSUR team went with him to another polling station at Romulo Gallegos Avenue in front of Miranda park. The same voter went through the same process and put his voting slip in the box.

The final stop was a voting station outside the Chacaito metro station. The only difference here was that after he voted he was not given a receipt of voting.

The whole process took just an hour.

So the obvious question is, how many others might have voted three times? Or even more times?

There is a video of the citizen casting his second and third votes.

  • Published in World

US Black Group Lauds Caricom's Stance on Venezuela

The IBW urged Caricom nations to resist pressure from Washington and the OAS, and continue to stand firm in their principled position concerning Venezuela.

On Saturday, New York-based Institute of the Black World 21st Century (IBW) said it was “very concerned about reports of racist violence by right-wing, anti-Government forces targeting members of the Afro-Venezuelan community.”

RELATED: Morales Slams Supporters of Venezuela's Opposition Plebiscite

IBW called on the U.S. Congressional Black Caucus to investigate these reports and to support the Caribbean Community's (Caricom) position by demanding that U.S. President Donald Trump's Administration “cease and desist interfering in Venezuela's domestic affairs, and in undermining its national sovereignty.”

The group also condemned recent efforts by the Organization of American States' (OAS) Secretary General Luis Almagro and a “small group of powerful states in the OAS who are relentlessly attacking the Venezuelan Government, openly supporting the Opposition forces, and are attempting to divide and weaken the solidarity of the 15 Caricom member states of the OAS on their stance towards the crisis in Venezuela.”

IBW lauded the prime minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines, Dr Ralph Gonsalves, for upholding “Article 15 of the OAS Charter, which says that 'no state, or group of states, has the right to intervene, directly or indirectly, for any reason whatever, in the internal or external affairs of any other state.'”

The OAS Charter says “this principle prohibits not only armed force but also any other form of interference or attempted threat against the personality of the State or against its political, economic, and cultural elements.”

The Institute of the Black World 21st Century urged all Caricom countries to “resist pressure from Washington and from the OAS, and continue to stand firm in their united and principled position concerning the crisis in Venezuela.”

In a statement from the conclusion of recently concluded 38th Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of Caricom, held in Grenada earlier this month, Caricom leaders “reaffirmed their guiding principles of adherence to the rule of law, respect for human rights and democracy, as well as for the fundamental principles of non-intervention and non-interference in the internal affairs of states.”

  • Published in World

Venezuela: Opposition Protesters Burn Motorcyclist Alive at Barricade

More than 80 people have been killed or seriously injured since opposition protests started in April.

One man was killed and another left with severe burns after opposition protesters attacked a truck driver with molotov cocktails in Zulia State, Venezuela on Wednesday.

RELATED: Ignoring Opposition Attack, US Calls for ‘Pressure’ on Maduro

The national director of Civil Protection, Jorge Galindo, reported Thursday that one death and two bystanders were seriously injured as a result of a protest in Maracaibo.

According to a victim of the attack, the truck attempted to avoid being attacked at the barricade and collided into a motorcycle behind the vehicle, trapping the motorcyclist under the truck before protesters threw the petrol bombs.

"We came across the barricade .. and those who had blocked the way began throwing stones at us to loot the truck and when we went in reverse, we hit the motorcycle," said Jose Bravo, who was in the passenger seat of the truck.

“(The motorcyclist) lay injured on the road and then they threw Molotov bombs at us and set the truck on fire. The boy burned to death and my colleague and I were rescued," Bravo continued.

Bravo, 33, suffered third-degree burns to 95 percent of his body, was sent to the Coromoto Hospital’s Burn Unit to receive treatment.

The motorcyclist was identified as 20 years old Luigin Paz.

The roadblocks closing down a main road near the city’s bridge were organized by anti-government groups answering a nationwide protest call by opposition leaders from the MUD coalition.

MARACAIBO: Resultó con 95 % de QUEMADURAS en su cuerpo el cddno José Bravo (33) quien trató de esquivar una barricada y le arrojaron molotov.

Through its official Twitter account the Attorney General's office indicated that investigation had been called.

The opposition MUD coalition had called for a "national shutdown" Wednesday, with small numbers across most of the country cutting off access to roads for four hours as a protest against the National Constituent Assembly called by Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.

Many of protests which have transpired since April have spiralled out of control, leaving more than 80 deaths in its wake. On several occasions President Maduro has called for the cessation of violence and dialogue as a way to resolve the conflict, however, MUD has rejected this possibility and has maintained its calls for street protests.

  • Published in World

Countries Around the World Condemn Attack in Venezuela

Widespread support resounded from 17 African countries, as well as Bolivia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Cuba, Palestine, and Turkey after the attacks.

In the aftermath of the helicopter attack against the Venezuelan Supreme Court, countries around the world have expressed their solidarity with Venezuela by condemning the acts that the Bolivarian government has described as “terrorist.”

RELATED: Soft Coups Made in USA to Control Latin America: Bolivia

The countries include Bolivia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Cuba, Palestine, Turkey, as well as widespread support from Africa where 17 countries have condemned the attacks.

The Bolivian government issued a communication insisting on the importance of peace and dialogue between Venezuela's internal political forces, and called for the preservation of stability.

The Ecuadorean government released a communication calling for “unrestricted respect for the democratic order of states, the peaceful resolution of conflicts, non-interference in a coutnry's internal affairs, and the rejection of attempts toward destabilization.

Guatemala also condemned the attacks and called for sincere political dialogue in Venezuela.

A former police official stole a helicopter on Tuesday afternoon, from the Generalisimo Francisco de Miranda airbase in the Venezuelan capital, and proceeded to fly over over and attack the Supreme Court of Justice and Interior Ministry buildings with grenades. Nobody was injured in the attack.

The Venezuelan Foreign Minister Samuel Moncada described the attack as an “act of terrorism,” and has thanked the countries who have condemned the attack for their displays of solidarity.

Moncada denounced the complicity of those countries and international organizations such as the OAS who have failed to condemn the attacks after months of international attempts to interfere in Venezuela's internal affairs.

In the day following the attacks, the United States has not condemned the attacks. Rather U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley called for increased “pressure” on Venezuelan President Maduro while speaking to the U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee.

  • Published in World
Subscribe to this RSS feed