The Russian authorities have made it clear that sanctions against the United States and the EU may not be limited to the embargo on food imports.
According to the Vedomosti newspaper, Russia may impose restrictions on the imports of manufactured goods. Relevant proposals were sent to President Vladimir Putin.
"When the EU and the United States imposed sectoral sanctions against Russia, the government, a few days later, sent a report to the President that contained a broad list of possible retaliatory sanctions, but Putin instructed to limit imports of food," a federal official said.
According to him, additional sanctions from Russia are possible only if the EU and the United States toughen sanctions against Russia. Yet, the government has no orders from the president to prepare documents to impose new sanctions.
"Russian sanctions were a necessary measure. Therefore, if the EU and the United States take more actions against Russia, Russia will consider a possibility of extending retaliatory sanctions. What kind of actions Russia may take depends on the actions of the West," president's press secretary Dmitry Peskov said.
- There are no independent countries in the world, Putin says
- Russia, Iran & Turkey talk long-term Syrian peace in Sochi as US and allies beat war drums in Warsaw
- Norwegian airliner stranded in Iran for 60 DAYS (and counting) due to US sanctions
- Russia Warns That US 'Humanitarian Aid' Is A Blatant Sham
- ‘Space is not your property!’ Beijing blasts US report on China & Russia ‘weaponizing’ space