US President Donald Trump revealed he informed Chinese Premier Xi Jinping about the US air strike on a Syrian military base as the pair ate "the most beautiful" chocolate cake. He then mixed up Syria and Iraq – and the internet had a meltdown.
Trump was speaking with Fox Business about the bizarre exchange with Chinese leader during a summit at his Mar-a-Lago estate.
“We had finished dinner, we’re now having dessert,” Trump began. “And we had the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake that you’ve ever seen and President Xi was enjoying it.”
“We’ve just fired 59 missiles, all of which hit by the way, unbelievable, from hundreds of miles away, it’s brilliant, it’s genius, what we have in terms of technology no-one can come close to competing,” he continued.
“So I said, we’ve just launched 59 missiles, heading to Iraq,” said the President, seemingly oblivious to his mistake. http://gph.is/1TUMIPk
“Heading to Syria,” host Maria Bartiromo interjected. “Yes,” Trump replied, “heading toward Syria.”
Naturally, Twitter was set alight by the gaffe.
@BraddJaffy Trump: Over dessert “I said we’ve just launched 59 missiles heading to Iraq”
- Trump Drops a Motherload: US Uses Most Powerful Non-Nuclear Bomb in Afghanistan
- ‘Riskier than striking Syria’: Beijing warns US against attacking North Korea
- Putin: Trust between US & Russia degrading under Trump
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Registers to Run for President
- Trump Very Likely Profited From Syria Attack — Here’s How