Brasilia, Jan 16 (Prensa Latina) The national leader of the Workers' Party (PT) of Brazil, Gleisi Hoffman, said today that the trial of former President Luiz Inacio Lula Da Silva is the continuation of the democratic rupture that started in 2016.
In a speech at a public rally, Hoffman noted that it would be the third stage of the coup d'état against the democratic system, and recalled that the first stage was the expulsion of Dilma Rousseff from the Planalto Palace.
She pointed out that the second stage was the government's annulment of the rights conquered by the workers, 'and now they want to strip the Brazilian people of their right to elect Lula again as president'.
The ex-president will be tried on January 24. The case refers to the first sentence granted by Judge Sergio Moro, who is in charge of Operation Lava Jato in Curitiba, Parana.
Experts say that whatever the result is, it will be a time of definition for Brazilian politics in 2018 and the next few years, according to the website www.brasildefato.com.br.
Lula is being tried because he 'allegedly' received a triplex apartment in Guaruja, in the state of Sao Paulo, from the Brazilian company OAS as part of a bribe.
- Bolsonaro Fund Cuts Force Scientists to Migrate Brazil for Work
- Lula da Silva says Brazil needs more education, not more guns
- Lula's Defense, There's Evidence of his Innocence
- 'Lula is Political Prisoner': American Association of Jurists
- Bolsonaro's Approval Rating is the Lowest in Brazilian History