Aachen: Europe can no longer rely on the United States to protect it, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Thursday, urging the bloc to take its destiny in its own hands.
"It is no longer such that the United States simply protects us, but Europe must take its destiny in its own hands, that's the task of the future," she said, after US President Donald Trump left traditional allies scrambling by ditching the landmark Iran nuclear deal.
- Majority of Americans think Trump mishandling Russia: Reuters/Ipsos poll
- Trump And Putin To Hold First Summit Talks As Twitchy West Looks On
- Insults, demands & advice: Trump’s whirlwind European tour causes stir online
- Pence: Another Monroe Tour
- Brazil: Nobel Laureate Calls Trump's Immigration Policy 'Cruel'