If the US tries to invade Iran, it will face the same fate that the government of Saddam Hussein did when it launched a war against the Islamic Republic, Iran’s powerful Revolutionary Guard said in a statement.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRSG) said it “will make sure the American regime will end up being destroyed just like Saddam’s regime,” if Washington chooses to go to war.
Iran rejected the demands and is working with other parties to the deal, including China, Russia, Britain, France, and the EU, which criticized Washington’s decision to pull out of the deal and escalate tensions with Iran.
In the 1980s, Iran and Iraq engaged in a bloody eight-year war which claimed hundreds of thousands of lives on both sides. Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein received support from Western nations, including the US, despite committing well-documented atrocities like using chemical weapons against Iran.
More than two decades after the inconclusive end to the conflict, the Iraqi leader himself was targeted by the US and its allies, which ousted him during the 2003 invasion. He was later executed by the new Iraqi government.
- Trump Orders Creation Of New "Space Force", Sixth Branch Of Armed Forces
- Separating Children From Parents At US Border "Unconscionable", Says UN
- Trump Wants to Ship 25 Million Mexicans to Japan: Report
- 2,000 Kids Separated From Parents Under Trump Border Crackdown
- U.S.-Cuba Bilateral Commission to meet for first time since U.S. withdrew embassy personnel