Washington: President Donald Trump's eldest son appeared to liken migrants to dangerous animals, his latest controversial remarks on desperate people seeking to enter the US.
"You know why you can enjoy a day at the zoo? Because walls work," Donald Trump Jr wrote in a post on Instagram.
Trump's father has doubled down on his pledge to build a wall on the border with Mexico, leading to a partial shutdown of the US government.
The president himself has described some migrants in similar terms, saying in May last year that: "You wouldn't believe how bad these people are, these aren't people, these are animals."
The Instagram post by Trump Jr -- who has previously drawn fire for comparing Syrian refugees to a bowl of potentially deadly Skittles candy -- drew criticism on social media.
"This is racism on steroids," one user wrote on Twitter, while another tweeted: "The only zoo animal is Junior himself."
- Trump Dethrones Obama As 'Droner-in-Chief' With New Civilian Killing Policy
- Trump Renews Obama-era Emergency Over Venezuela, Maduro Calls It 'Historic Error'
- ‘Arbitrary & unacceptable threat’: Havana slams Trump for ‘allowing’ lawsuits against Cuban firms
- Donald Trump Jr signed Stormy Daniels check, Michael Cohen to tell Congress
- Spike Lee rounds on Donald Trump over Twitter attack