A car bomb detonated in the area, according to state TV. Other media outlets, however, suggest that the attack might have been carried out by a suicide bomber. The explosion has apparently caused only material damage, no casualties have been reported so far.
Several government buildings, as well as the Embassy of Russia, are located in the vicinity of the area, where the blast occurred.
The explosion occurred some 500 meters away from the Embassy, Russian mission confirmed, adding that its staff was not affected by the blast.
A number of photos, purportedly showing the scene of the blast, have emerged online. The explosive device was apparently planted in an old blue car, which was badly damaged in the explosion.
- US Justice Department releases Mueller report on Trump-Russia 'collusion' investigation
- Russia: US Has Caused Billions of Damage to Venezuela
- Mueller’s probe is over, but bogeyman Russia will come in handy for 2020 presidential hopefuls
- Russia Prepares Pharmaceutical Companies for War
- NATO Seeks Provocation in Sea of Azov, Russian Senator Says