The Russian airbase Khmeimim in Syria has been under fire from the terrorist group Jabhat al-Nusra in Idlib recently, and the “nest of terrorists must be uprooted,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Wednesday.
He made the statement at a news conference with his Iranian counterpart, Mohammad Javad Zarif, in Moscow.
Under the new name Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, the terrorist group “not only controls the situation there, but also shells positions of the Syrian Army and settlements,” Lavrov said.
The head of the Russian Defence Ministry’s Center for Syrian Reconciliation, Maj. Gen. Viktor Kupchishin, said on Tuesday that militants violated a ceasefire in the Syrian provinces of Aleppo, Idlib and Latakia over a period of 24 hours.
- Quarter Million Visitors to Attend Damascus Flower Festival (+Photos)
- Germany rebuffs US call to send ground troops to Syria
- Steven Seagal film to tell story of Syrian toddler who drowned in Mediterranean
- Syrian Army Continues Fighting Terrorists in Three Provinces
- We won’t sell out our allies or principles to strike Syria deal with US, says Putin