Russia’s air defense forces shot down two unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) during a terrorist attack on the Hmeymim airbase in Syria, the Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday.
The drones approached the airbase from the northern and the northeastern directions, according to the military.
The Russian airbase’s air defense forces destroyed all of the drones “at a considerable distance from the airbase,” the statement said.
The military said six missiles were fired at the Hmeymim air base in the Latakia province and accused former Nusra Front militants of being behind the assault, RIA Novosti reported.
- Rebels withdraw from key Syrian town as pro-Assad troops advance
- ‘One possible conclusion’: US banned-missile test apparently in works long before leaving INF
- FIVB Men's International Olympic Qualification Tournament set to begin with six tickets to Tokyo 2020 on offer
- Varadero wagers on more Russian tourism
- Iconic Cuban statue back on display