Ankara, May 22 (Prensa Latina) Turkey has sent military personnel to Russia for their training on how to use the S-400 missile system, the most advanced Russian ballistic technology, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Wednesday.
Purchasing this weaponry from Russia led Turkey to a strong diplomatic confrontation with the United States, which is trying by all means to prevent its NATO ally from acquiring this type of armament, even threatening to suspend the participation of Turkish companies in the manufacture of the Lockheed Martin F-35 combat aircraft.
On this issue, Akar said that Turkey was fulfilling its responsibilities in the F-35 project and that Ankara expected the program to continue as scheduled, while talks between the two countries are ongoing.
The Minister also said Ankara and Washington are assessing the possibility of Turkey acquiring US-made Patriot missiles based on a price-fixing, technology transfer and joint production agreement.
- Electromagnetic Attack Causes Blackout in Venezuela
- US promises Turkey ‘constraints’ in relations as it kicks it out of F-35 program over S-400
- Russian S-400 benefits NATO, US should do what strategic partnership entails – Erdogan
- Cuba and Turkey seek to boost tourism
- ‘Don’t play with fire’: Beijing warns US over Taiwan