Michel Temer has taken over as Brazil's interim president after the approval of an impeachment motion against current President Dilma Rousseff.
Michel Temer took over as Brazil's acting president on Thursday and is expected deliver an official statement during his inaugural ceremony later this afternoon, Brazil's state agency reported.
Mr. Temer will become Brazil's seventh president since the end of the military dictatorship in the 1980s, with a mandate of up to six months while his predecessor President Dilma Rousseff undergoes an impeachment trial.
During his first speech as acting president later today, Temer is expected to outline the main policies of his administration, which likely include cuts to government spending and social spending.
Temer is also expected to announce his cabinet ministers, which are rumoured to be all-white and all-male, according to a report by the Globe and Mail, in a country where more than half of the population are Black or mixed race.
Meanwhile, the country's Supreme Court is looking into whether Mr. Temer himself should be impeached for breaking the same fiscal rules that brought down Ms. Rousseff.
According to a recent poll carried out by Datafolha found that leading up to yesterday’s Senate vote, Temer’s impeachment was almost on par in terms of support as Rousseff’s. The survey showed that 58 percent of Brazilians wanted Temer to be removed from his post, compared to 61 percent supporting Rousseff’s impeachment.
- Bolsonaro Fund Cuts Force Scientists to Migrate Brazil for Work
- Lula da Silva says Brazil needs more education, not more guns
- 'Lula is Political Prisoner': American Association of Jurists
- Bolsonaro's Approval Rating is the Lowest in Brazilian History
- Lula's Sentence Reduced to 8 Years by Top Judges Panel
Latest from Jorge Mesa
- 47 Dead, 640 Injured In Chemical Plant Explosion In China
- Secretary of Council of State says Cubans see themselves reflected in new Constitution
- Trump calls Omarosa 'a lowlife' after memoir claims racial slurs
- A look at Vietnam’s ‘Golden Bridge,’ a colossal pair of hands lifting a golden walkway
- Great Celebration of Cuban Culture Ends in the US (+Photos)