Storm Alberto Forces Cuban Authorities to Evacuate Hundreds of Locals

More than 5,000 were evacuated in Cuba over the raging subtropical storm Alberto, Sputnik reports.

Some 3,000 people were evacuated in the central province of Sancti Spiritus because of the flooding threat, also near the Zaza Reservoir, which is overflowed because of the heavy rainfall, the EFE news agency reported.

Meanwhile, about 2,000 people were reportedly evacuated in the province of Villa Clara. The provinces of Pinar del Rio, Artemisa, Matanzas and Ciego de Avila are also hit by the storm.

Alberto is the first named storm of the 2018 hurricane season, which officially begins in June. It formed in the Gulf of Mexico on Friday and threatens to batter the Gulf of Mexico coast with heavy rains and storm surge.

  • Published in Cuba

Escape from Yemen: Refugees tell RT 'the whole city was shaking'

The fifth Russian plane from Yemen carrying 150 refugees from 12 countries has landed in Moscow. The people who chose to leave the war-torn region described the horrors of bombing and praised Russia for organizing evacuations.

Aboard the flight were citizens of Russia, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Belarus, Armenia, France, Germany, Yemen, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Iraq.

The people escaping the clashes between Shiite Houthi rebels and forces loyal to the ousted Yemeni President Hadi, supported by Saudi-led bombings, have pointed to the unbearable situation on the ground as the sole reason for leaving.

Uzbek resident Nurlus Salamov, who worked in Yemen as an anesthesiologist for seven years, told RT that it became impossible to work in the country. “We could not get any sleep for the past eight days. We are thankful to Russia and [Russian President Vladimir] Putin for organizing the evacuation from Yemen. Russia was the only country to offer the evacuation, no one else have done that,” he said.

Florence Bureau, a French citizen, also found the constant nighttime air raids impossible to bear. Russia was the first country to arrange evacuation for them, she added.

Russian citizen Gulnara Tama stated she was forced to evacuate because she was scared for her children in light of surprise airstrikes. “The worst thing is that you don’t know what the future holds for your kids because they are not receiving any education. Children are stuck at home in fear,” she said.

The last straw for Gulnara was when she lost hope for peace. “The whole city [Sanaa] shook from all sides. That is what made me leave.”

Ukrainian citizen Irina Aldahri, originally from the Dnepropetrovsk region in eastern Ukraine, said that she had lived in Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, for 30 years and had been forced to leave her life behind.

“The airstrikes are very scary to live through that is why [my son and I] decided to leave. Twelve days ago everything quickly deteriorated – daily bombings, all the work stopped. We were sitting at home, too afraid to go outside,” she said.

Aldahri added that her mother was visiting her in Sanaa when things began to fall apart. Her mother is already in Moscow, after she was able to take a previous Russian evacuation flight out of Yemen. Their plan is to meet up in Moscow and then travel back to Ukraine.

Another Russian citizen, Tatiana, said she had worked in Yemen for 10 years as a gynecologist and at first did not want to leave the country.

She described the situation as “tense,” with “Saudi planes bombing the military warehouses used by the Houthis.”

“I didn’t want to leave because once the morning came, everything would calm down and the stores would reopen,” she said.

But, the airstrikes hitting near the military hospital she worked at was what pushed her over the edge. “The bombings happened right next to it. The windows and doors shook, glass flew. After that I decided to leave.”



Subscribe to this RSS feed