Two Killed In San Francisco Shooting Spree, Police Arrest A 61-Year-Old

San Francisco:  At least two people were killed and three others injured in a shooting spree in San Francisco, police said.

The shooting took place on Monday in Clearlake Oaks in Lake County, CBS San Francisco reported.

According to authorities, Clearlake resident 61-year-old Alan Ashmore was arrested on two counts of homicide as well as multiple other counts of assault with a firearm following the late Monday morning shooting spree.

Authorities were trying to determine a motive in the seemingly random shooting spree.

  • Published in World

U.S.A.: A Paradise for Violent Crime

According to the Associated Press (AP) violent crimes in the United States grew over the two years in a row.

What period of time did that North American news agency write? The time comprising between 2015 and 2016.

The fact was broadly commented this Monday for its journalist Sadie Gurman.

Revising FBI statistics, she remarked that it grew mainly in the most important cities.

Gurman noticed that Donald Trump used the numbers as evidence that the country is amid a dangerous wave of crimes.

Therefore? The need of making arrests and other sanctions "against drug crimes."

AP remembers that last year there was a blast of shootings and robberies, up to 4,1% more than in 2015.

While homicides of varied nature reached 8,6% in that same time.

The source aforementioned turned to last year statistics to highlight that violence jumped to 3.9%, and murders to more than 10.

"This is a concerning tendency that threatens to thwart the advances that made safer our neighborhoods and communities", said the secretary of Justice, Jeff Sessions.

He also sentenced: the years of crime reduction have been replaced by increases.

The website Público.es recently informed in Madrid that two years ago nearly 1134 people were killed in the U.S., mostly black people.

An investigation of the British newspaper 'The Guardian' revealed that the youths of that community have nine times more probabilities of getting killed at the hands of the Police than at the hands of anyone else.

Scary no doubt, the United States has become, by its own right, a paradise for violent crimes.

Amilkal Labañino Valdés / Cubasi Translation Staff

  • Published in Specials

Thousands evacuated from Moscow buildings as Russian cities inundated with bomb threats

Over 20 shopping centers, railway stations and universities had to be evacuated in Moscow, following warnings that they had been rigged with explosives. In total, 190 sites have been evacuated across 17 Russian cities after bomb threats, a security source told RIA news agency.

“This appears to be a case of telephone terrorism, but we have to check the credibility of these messages,” an emergency service source told Tass news agency, noting that the calls began at the same time, and continued after the evacuations had begun.

Tass reported that over 20,000 people had been affected by the evacuation in Moscow alone.

Emergency services said that police units including explosives specialists and officers with sniffer dogs are examining the buildings. Several later reported that police cordons had been lifted.

Among the locations affected are three of the capital's biggest railway stations, more than a dozen shopping centers – including GUM, located next to Red Square – and at least three universities, the leading First Moscow State Medical University, and the Moscow State Institute of International Relations among them.

Tass reported that the railway timetable remained unaffected by the police operation. Social media accounts show bemused crowds milling passively outside evacuated buildings, and there have been no reports of disturbances of public order.

President Vladimir Putin has been informed of the incidents, but his press secretary Dmitry Peskov said that he would not be commenting “as this is a matter for the security services to address.”

An epidemic of hoax bomb warnings has plagued Russia over the past week. Security services told the RIA news agency that over 45,000 people were evacuated from public places in 22 Russian cities on Tuesday, adding that many of the calls appeared to have come from Ukraine.

Terrorist false alarms are punishable by up to five years in prison under Russian law, and multiple police investigations have been opened.  However, the possibility that the hoaxers are using pre-recorded messages - as appears to be the case in earlier, identical messages - automated dialing systems and digital means of concealing their true location present difficulties in identifying the culprits.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJm-NH7X0AARHrh.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/907970145389334530/pu/img/_os0wqvJSjM5I0cw.jpg

  • Published in World

German bus inferno killed 18 in Bavaria, police say

Eighteen people are believed to have died when their tour bus crashed and burst into flames on the A9 motorway in southern Germany, police say.

The bus was in a collision with a lorry near Stammbach in north Bavaria.

Thirty people escaped the fire, two of whom are critically hurt. The bus was carrying German pensioners from Saxony.

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann said rescuers were delayed by "gawpers" driving slowly and by the intensity of the blaze.

It is not clear why the bus crashed - traffic was reportedly moving slowly at the time. Nor is it clear why flames engulfed the whole bus so quickly.

The lorry's trailer was also incinerated and the burnt-out wreck ended up a short distance ahead of the bus. The German news website Frankenpost reports that it was carrying mattresses and pillows.

The lorry driver was unharmed and told police the bus had crashed into his vehicle and burst into flames, it said.

There were 46 passengers and two drivers on the bus. One driver was among those killed. The passengers were men and women aged 41 to 81, from the Dresden area, heading to Lake Garda in Italy for a holiday.

Forensic teams have recovered the charred remains of 11 people so far.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/6623/production/_96774162_bavaria_bus_crash_624.png

Five rescue helicopters joined emergency workers at the scene.

Chancellor Angela Merkel said she was distressed by the accident and expressed sympathy for the injured and bereaved relatives.

She thanked the rescuers for looking after people "in an appalling situation".

A police spokesman told German news channel n-tv that there were good medical facilities in Bayreuth, not far from the scene.

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/B443/production/_96774164_gerfor2afp.jpgForensic experts are examining the charred skeleton of the bus and human remains inside / Image copyright AFP

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/57CD/production/_96777422_gerbusafpmotor.jpgThe crash scene - traffic has resumed now in one direction / AFP

  • Published in World

Man arrested after three bodies found in John Lennon's former home

A 30-year-old man has been arrested in Liverpool on suspicion of murder after the bodies of a woman and two children were found in the former home of John Lennon.

Merseyside police opened an investigation after being called to a ground floor flat in Falkner Street, at about 7.30pm on Tuesday after concern for the safety of the occupants.

Officers said the investigation was in its early stages but they believed it was “domestic related”. They added that police were not looking for anyone else at this stage.

The arrested man has been taken to hospital after falling ill.

Neighbours said the property was regularly visited by Beatles fans on tours of the city as Lennon lived there with his first wife, Cynthia, shortly after they married. The flat was owned by the band’s manager, Brian Epstein.

One man, who did not want to be named, said: “The tourist tours are always stopping at the house because John Lennon used to live there.”

He said a family with two young children had lived in the flat.

“I didn’t know them, I just knew there was a family living there. The children were toddler age.”

People in Falkner Street had been evacuated from their homes earlier on Tuesday night over concerns about a fuel leak. Police closed the street and urged people in neighbouring roads to remain inside and keep windows closed.

One woman said: “The police said we had a couple of minutes to get out of the house. There were ambulances, fire engines and police here. We weren’t allowed back in until about 11pm.”

On Wednesday morning, a police cordon remained in place outside the terrace house.

Police have said they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0151 777 4065 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

  • Published in Culture

1,000 soldiers on streets as nervous Britain prepares for ‘imminent’ terror attack

Troops are being deployed to guard Buckingham Palace, Downing Street, and Parliament after Prime Minister Theresa May warned that another terror attack is “expected imminently.”

Meanwhile, a knifeman was arrested on The Mall outside Buckingham Palace on Wednesday morning just moments before the Queen passed by in a car on her way to an engagement at St. Paul’s Cathedral.

A picture shows the man sitting handcuffed on the ground surrounded by officers, with one holding what is believed to be a large blade that had been seized. The incident is not believed to be related to terrorism.

@KateProctorES Army just arrived at Parliament. @standardnews

@MrHarryCole Army just arrived at parliament. Mfl

The government says up to 984 armed military personnel will be deployed on Britain’s streets as part of ‘Operation Temperer’, which has been launched in the wake of the terrorist attack at a pop concert in Manchester. Twenty-two people were killed, including children, and 59 were injured when Salman Adebi, 22, blew himself up at Manchester Arena on Monday night.

Foreign Secretary Amber Rudd told Sky News that “people are likely to see some military on the streets.” The deployment is intended to free up armed officers for counter-terrorism operations.

On Tuesday night, the British government raised its terrorist threat level from ‘severe’ to ‘critical’ – the highest on the scale – meaning another attack is considered imminent. It was last raised to this level after the 2007 Glasgow airport bombing.

Security increased in London as terror alert raised to 'critical'

Rudd has noted that Monday’s attack was “more sophisticated” than previous ones, and “it seems likely – possible – that he wasn’t doing this on his own.”

On Wednesday morning, three more men were arrested in connection with the suicide bombing. Abedi’s brother, 23, was arrested on Tuesday. All four men are currently in police custody.

Mark Rowley, the head of national counter-terrorism policing, said in a statement that the investigation is “large scale, fast moving and making good progress.”

 
Police officers stand outside a residential property near to where a man was arrested in the Chorlton area of Manchester, Britain May 23, 2017. © Stefan Wermuth

“I have asked for support from the military to be deployed alongside the police … This is part of an agreed and well-rehearsed plan, and military personnel will remain under the command and control of the police service,” he added.

Westminster Palace has been closed to the public in light of police advice, and will not re-open until further notice, a statement on its website said.

In addition, the Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace was canceled on Wednesday in order to redeploy officers, the Ministry of Defence said.

London’s mayor Sadiq Khan says he wants to reassure all Londoners and visitors that “everything possible” is being done to protect the city, and has urged people to remain “calm and vigilant.”

“Emergency services prepare day in, day out for these situations. Our plans are well rehearsed and well prepared,” he said.

“There will be additional police officers on London’s streets over the coming days including additional armed officers. You will also see some military personnel around London.”

@SadiqKhan The national threat level has been raised to 'critical'. Watch my statement on what this means for Londoners today.

  • Published in World

Dortmund bus bomb: German police detain suspected Islamist

German police say that two people suspected of involvement in Tuesday’s bombing near the Borussia Dortmund team bus have an Islamist background. The federal public prosecutor also confirmed that the explosives used contained metal shards.

Police have searched the apartments of both suspects, one of whom has been arrested, the prosecutor confirmed Wednesday. Officials are attempting to secure an arrest warrant for the second suspect.

@bka Live aus Karlsruhe: der zur in . https://www.pscp.tv/w/a7y85zF3QkVB

A spokesperson for the public prosecutor, Frauke Koehler, said shrapnel from the explosive devices used in the attack traveled more than 100 meters (330ft) and contained metal pins which had pierced a headrest of a bus seat.

The team bus was severely damaged in the blast, which police are treating as a terrorist attack “based on the facts of the crime,” however the exact motive remains unclear, according to a police statement.

READ MORE: ‘Serious explosives’ used in Dortmund team bus blasts, no terrorism link yet – police

Three letters were found at the scene of the blast, the nature of which led investigators to believe the attackers may have an Islamic background. Earlier reports from German media claimed one of the letters opened with: "In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.”

Police confirmed the letter calls for the withdrawal of German Tornado aircraft from Syria and the closure of the American airbase at Ramstein.

@RT_com MORE: Involvement of German military in surveillance on cited as reason for Dortmund bus blast http://on.rt.com/88mh

Another letter posted online, which also claimed responsibility for the attack, came from a group with “left-wing extremist background” police said. An investigation into the post, however, cast “considerable doubts about the authenticity” of the claim.

Three bombs hidden behind a hedge went off near the Borussia Dortmund team bus on Tuesday evening as the team made its way to a Champions League quarter-final game against Monaco.

READ MORE: Germans offer #BedForAwayFans following Borussia Dortmund attack (PHOTOS)

Dortmund’s center back Marc Bartra was the only person to suffer injuries in the blast, with his arm and hand affected. He has since undergone surgery, according to the club.

The fixture has been rescheduled for Wednesday evening.

 

  • Published in Sports

San Bernardino elementary school shooting: two adults dead, police say

A shooting at an elementary school classroom in San Bernardino, California has left two adults dead and two students injured on Wednesday, according to law enforcement.

Police officials said that a shooting at North Park elementary school – which may have been a “murder-suicide” – has affected at least four victims, including a teacher.

The extent of the students’ injuries was not immediately clear Monday morning. Jarrod Burguan, chief of the San Bernardino police department, wrote: “We believe this to be a murder suicide. Happened in a classroom. Two students have been transported to the hospital.”

The shooting is believed to be a domestic dispute, a San Bernardino City Unified school district spokeswoman, Maria Garcia, told a local news station, KNBC.

“We believe the teacher knew who the shooter was,” she said.

Burguan wrote on Twitter that there was a large police presence at the site of the shooting and urged people to stay away from the area. Students, he added, were being transported to Cajon high school nearby.

@SBPDChief We believe this to be a murder suicide. Happened in a class room. Two students have been transported to the hospital.

The San Bernardino fire department tweeted that there were multiple victims with gunshot wounds and that “triage and victim count [is] taking place”.

The incident happened not far from the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, where a mass shooting in 2016 left 14 people dead.

 

 

  • Published in World
Subscribe to this RSS feed