Regional Strategy to Fight Violence and Extremism

The Arab countries of the Persian Gulf will start tomorrow here to discuss the adoption of a joint strategy to promote moderation and combat violence and extremism, official sources of Bahrain announced today.

Authorities of this kingdom are on the final preparations for the fourth meeting of the Ministers for Islamic Affairs and Religious Legacy of the of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) which, for the first time be held in Manama from the 19th to the 29th of the current month.

Local sources said that the leaders were invited to agree on a common strategy that counteracting the spread of extremism and violence in the region, at the time that further moderation in the Islamic religious areas.

In fact, the agenda of the meeting expected discussions between ministers on the role of Islamic preachers - called imams and khateebs, in Arabic--in spreading the culture of moderation and the sharing of experience among States members of the block of the Gulf monarchies.

Meetings on Wednesday and Thursday will take place amid widespread worry in the six Nations of the area - Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and Bahrein as host - by the spread of ideologies fundamentalists in their societies, even among young people.

In Kuwait, newspaper Arab Times today broadcast information, according to which relatives of several adolescents and young people asked the Ministry of Islamic Affairs and Awqaf (religious legacy) to make actions to counter a growing sympathy toward the Islamic State (ISIS) and other groups.

Relatives expressed their concern to the authorities of the Ministry and recognized that the tendency to praise the Takfirist Organization (Sunni Islamic terrorists) and others of equal cut is glaring not only men, but also girls.

The sources, initially mentioned by the Arabic newspaper Al-Qabas, pointed out that many of these young people expressed sympathies for extremists in their accounts on social networks, but assured that the government is already taking steps to 'protect them from falling into the trap of terrorism'.

  • Published in World

Police officer 'stabbed at UK Parliament'

A police officer has been stabbed in the Houses of Parliament in central London, Commons Leader David Lidington has said.

He told MPs the "alleged assailant was shot by armed police" following a "serious" incident.

Staff inside Parliament were told to stay inside their offices.

The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg said police told her someone had been shot and MPs said they heard "three or four gunshots".

Tom Peck, political editor for the Independent, tweeted: "There was a loud bang. Screams. Commotion. Then the sound of gunshots. Armed police everywhere."

Prime Minister Theresa May was seen being ushered into a silver Jaguar car as what sounded like gunfire rang out at Parliament during the incident.

A Downing Street source confirmed that Prime Minister Theresa May was "OK".

Scotland Yard said it was called to a firearms incident on Westminster Bridge amid reports of several people injured.

Transport for London said Westminster underground station has been shut at the police's request, and buses diverted.

Mr Lidington said: "It seems that a police officer has been stabbed, that the alleged assailant was shot by armed police.

"An air ambulance is currently attending the scene to remove the casualties.

"There are also reports of further violent incidents in the vicinity of the Palace of Westminster but I hope colleagues on all sides will appreciate that it'd be wrong of me to go into further details until we have confirmation from the police and from the House security authorities about what is going on."

An eye witness, Radoslaw Sikorski, a senior fellow at Harvard's Centre for European Studies, posted a video to Twitter purporting to show people lying injured in the road on Westminster Bridge.

He wrote: "A car on Westminster Bridge has just mowed down at least 5 people."

  • Published in World

8yo boy kills 5yo sister and injures brother with handgun

A Florida mother could face criminal charges after her 8-year-old son killed his younger sister and injured his brother with a handgun while they were home alone.

The 8-year-old boy is currently helping Jacksonville Police with inquiries into how he came into possession of the firearm and discharged a single fatal bullet from the gun. 

Police in Jacksonville say the three children had been left alone in an apartment for an “undetermined period of time” on Saturday, while their mother went to a local store.

Police believe the shooting at a Roosevelt Gardens apartment complex to be accidental but have not ruled out charges being filed.

“Our investigation revealed that at the time of the shooting, the only occupants inside the apartment were an 8-year-old boy, a 5-year-old girl and a four-year-old boy,” police chief Chris Butler said.

“The mother had left the apartment for an undetermined period of time, so the children were home alone.

“Somehow the 8-year-old boy got possession of a handgun and discharged the handgun one time, striking both of the other children.”

READ MORE: 13-year-old with fake gun shot by private investigator

The bullet struck the five-year-old girl, killing her, while her four-year-old brother suffered a “non-life-threatening gunshot wound.” He is being treated at a local hospital, where doctors expect him to make a full recovery.

Witnesses to the incident are still being interviewed.

“We believe that as an agency, in absence of any other information being developed, that unfortunately this is a tragic, accidental shooting,” Butler said.

He said there was nothing to indicate that the shooting was intentional.

The Florida Department of Children and Families, which offers child welfare services, is assisting with the case. Meanwhile, a therapist has been provided to the 8-year-old boy who fired the weapon.

Speaking at a police press conference, Butler said charges have not been filed against anyone “at this time” and admitted he was reluctant to comment on an active investigation.

However, he said that previous cases involving violence carried out by children have seen the parents charged.

  • Published in World

At Least 4 Dead, 12 Hurt in Shooting at Mexico Music Festival

The BPM organizers said the attack was perpetrated by a lone shooter. There was no official confirmation of the death toll.

At least four people were killed and 12 were injured early on Monday when a gunman opened fire outside the Blue Parrot nightclub in Mexico's Playa del Carmen resort during the BPM electronic music festival, organizers said in a statement.

The shooting represents a blow to Mexico's tourism industry, which has been one of the few bright spots in the economy thanks to a weak peso exchange rate.

The BPM organizers said three members of their security team were killed in the shooting, which it said was perpetrated by a lone shooter. There was no official confirmation of the death toll.

"We are overcome with grief over this senseless act of violence and we are cooperating fully with local law enforcement and government officials as they continue their investigation," BPM said in a statement posted on its Facebook page.

Videos purportedly shot at the scene shown on television and social media appear to show dancers ducking for cover and out on the streets running to safety.

The BPM festival, which was entering its 10th year, has grown to be one of the most important electronic music events in the world.

  • Published in Culture

5 dead, 9 injured in shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport

News media are reporting that several people have been shot at Fort Lauderdale International Airport. Passengers seen assembling on the tarmac away from the airport building. (Jan 6) AP.

MIAMI — A gunman opened fire on passengers in a  baggage claim area at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International airport Friday,  killing 5 people and injuring nine, according to Sen. Bill Nelson. The gunman was taken into custody.

Not long after the incident, reports emerged of a second possible shooter in Terminal 1by a man described by police at the scene as a white male wearing a white tee-shirt . According to police radio traffic, an "active shooter" was in the upper floors of the terminal.

The Transportation Security Administration alerted on Twitter that there was an "active shooter" at the airport and cautioned people in the area to "shelter in place."

The second incident sent passengers dropping to the ground and cowering behind cars.

The senator, a Florida Democrat, tells MSNBC  that the initial gunman was identified as 26-year-old Esteban Santiago and was carrying a military I.D.

The Broward County sheriff's office reported "multiple dead" in the melee.

The shooting broke out around noon  beside the baggage claim area at Terminal 2, which serves Delta Airlines.

Witnesses said the gunman fired randomly at people gathered near a baggage carousel, reloading several times.

One passenger, Mark Lea, tells MSNBC that the man was "just randomly shooting people" with a 9 mm pistol, without saying a word to anyone. After emptying about 3 magazines of bullets, the shooter  then got down on the ground, spreadeagled and waited for police to come and subdue him.

Lea said the gunman was about 5-7, 165 pounds and was wearing a blue tee-shirt. He said the gunman did not say anything as he opened fire only a few feet away from him.

"He wasn't targeting anyone particular, just random shooting at people," Lea tells MSNBC.

Another witness. John Schicher, tells MSNBC that the shooter appeared to be wearing a blue Star Wars tee-shirt.

Early word on the incident came from a tweet b y Ari Fleischer, former White House spokesman for President George W. Bush.

"I'm at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport," Fleischer tweeted. "Shots have been fired. Everyone is running."

The shooting broke out on the lower level of the airport, according to reports from the scene.

@AriFleischer I'm at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Shots have been fired. Everyone is running.

Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood airport reported on Twitter an "ongoing incident" at the baggage claim area of Terminal 2. The area of gates D4 and D5  largely services Delta flights. Itg said that all services are temporarily suspect at the airport.

Broward County emergency medical units were dispatched to the tarmac near Terminal 2 where dozens of passengers were huddled together.

 

  • Published in World

Brazilian Penitentiary System Shows Social Abyss, says Researcher

Brasilia, Jan 6 (Prensa Latina) More than economic, social and racial inequity, the degrading Brazilian penitentiary system reflects today the abyss existing in terms of access to justice and guarantee of fundamental rights, said researcher Camila Nunes Dias.

To describe in one phrase the jail system of Brazil, I would say 'it is a machine to destroy persons, do away with their dignity, their health and their dreams', resumed the also professor at the Federal ABC University of Sao Paulo.

Interviewed by portal Vermelho, of the Brazilian Communist Party (PCdoB) regarding the massacre occurred at the beginning of this year at the Penitentiary Complex Anisio Jobim, in Manaus (Amazon), where 56 inmates were killed, described by president Michel Temer the eve as a 'terrifying accident'.

Following the bloody rebellion, the office of the High Commissioner of the United Nations for Human Rights said this is not an isolated case, but 'a reflection of the chronic situation' of the jails of Brazil.

In a message spread here, the UN High Commissioner demanded of Brazilian authorities to open 'an immediate, impartial and effective investigation' of the bloody incident and those resulting responsible be taken to justice.

Nunes Dias recognized it is difficult to describe the present scenario of the prisons in the country. It is a very big system with peculiarities in each state, but with something in common in every case: dreadful, degrading conditions of confinement, valued the member of the Study Nucleus on Violence of the Paulist university.

The jail institutions do nothing but submit inmates to suffering, violating their rights and stigmatizing them, deepening in them a 'criminal' identity, she indicated.

The eve, the interim head of the General Prosecution of the Republic (PGR), Nicolao Dino, announced they will investigate penitentiaries in the states of Amazon, Rio Grande do Sul, Pernambuco and Rondonia, in order to determine possible non-compliance of 'constitutional and infra-constitutional norms'.

The PGR recalled in a note broadcast here that the State of Brazil responds to the Interamerican System of Human Rights for violations detected in prisons of Rio Grande do Sul, Rondonia, Pernambuco, Maranhao and Sao Paulo.

  • Published in World

German Police Surround Mall in Dusseldorf, Berlin Attack Suspect Presumed Inside

The German police surrounded a Kaufhaus store after an eyewitness reportedly saw the Berlin attack suspect inside, local media reports. Shortly after it began, however, the operation was over, and the alleged suspect was not found.

Earlier in the day, a photo of alleged suspect in the Berlin market attack was published by the German newspaper Bild.

According to Bild, the police are searching for an Islamist from Tunisia. His name is Anis A., he is 21-23 years old and he has several passports.

After a witness reported he had seen the alleged terrorist, the store Kaufhaus in Dusseldorf was surrounded by the police.

On Monday, a truck rammed into the crowd at the Berlin Christmas market on the Breitscheidplatz square, killing at least 12 people and injuring 48 more. The country's interior ministry has labeled the incident a terrorist attack.

On Monday, a truck rammed into the crowd at the Berlin Christmas market, killing 12 people and injuring 48. Police have confirmed the ramming was intentional and detained the suspect, a Pakistani migrant, but he was later released over lack of evidence linking him to the attack.

The incident is being investigated as a terrorist attack. Local media revealed Monday that the German intelligence, even before the recent terrorist attack on a Christmas market in Berlin, classified the suspect as a person representing a potential threat to public safety because of ties to extremists.

According to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper, in 2012, the current suspect, Tunisian national Anis A., arrived in Italy, and in 2015 moved to Germany. His asylum application, filed in April, was approved.

The suspect reportedly had a total of eight forged passports, he was briefly detained with one of them in the southern German city of Friedrichshafen, the newspaper said, Anis kept in touch with a network of Islamists in Berlin, headed by Ahmad Abdulaziz Abdullah A, also known as Abu Walaa, who is suspected of recruiting people into Daesh terrorist group, and encouraging them to travel to Syria to join terrorist ranks.

 

  • Published in World

Argentina, Law against Bullying Passed in Buenos Aires

Parliamentarians from Buenos Aires passed today unanimously a law that seeks to eliminate and prevent bullying in schools.

In a special session, Buenos Aires´ parliamentarians agreed on this initiative that envisages a free telephone service to take care of this situation, amid other measures.

According to the law, bullying is all forms of abuse, physical, verbal or psychological, to which a student is subjected by one or many of the classmates.

Cyber abuse and any form of discrimination on the ground of gender, color of the skin, nationality, sexual preference are also forms of bullying, said the website El Parlamentario.

Bullying cases increased in Argentina by 33 percent this year, particularly online.

  • Published in World
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Havana